The Rite trailer (Catholic exorcism movie) .. Jan 2011..
(11-18-2010, 10:37 AM)timoose Wrote: Looks good to me, my eyes started leaking, and my nose got athletic and started to run, when Sister gasped in horror.
tim

Always the sign of a good movie.
(11-18-2010, 11:39 PM)Baskerville Wrote: It looks really good Anthony Hopkins is the best. I find the subject fascinating but I am too scared of the whole demon thing to ever really look into it. The Excorsism of Emily Rose scared me to the point where I didnt get sleep for three days.

I also know what you mean. What was really scary for me was that I watched that movie and later that night, I woke up from my sleep and opened my eyes and saw my clock. It was exactly 3 am.
(11-19-2010, 01:06 AM)SaintRafael Wrote:
(11-18-2010, 11:39 PM)Baskerville Wrote: It looks really good Anthony Hopkins is the best. I find the subject fascinating but I am too scared of the whole demon thing to ever really look into it. The Excorsism of Emily Rose scared me to the point where I didnt get sleep for three days.

I also know what you mean. What was really scary for me was that I watched that movie and later that night, I woke up from my sleep and opened my eyes and saw my clock. It was exactly 3 am.

Creepy.
(11-18-2010, 06:10 PM)richness of tradition Wrote: The book is good too.   It's a true story about an American priest who is sent to Rome to learn about how to do exorcisms.   He is a modern priest skeptical about the subject.   He enrolls in a course at one of the Vatican colleges.   And then he attends exorcisms conducted by experienced priests in Rome.  Needless to say he gets quite an eye-opening.

Very interesting,  but I can't help wondering why there apparently are so many possessed people in Italy and not in America?  They have big lineups waiting for the exorcists there.  And the exorcisms are pretty dramatic although the priests admit they  sometimes discover mental illness not the devil.

I don't know if Father Gary (I believe that was his name) was skeptical about it. In the book, he says that he volunteered to be the exorcist if I recall correctly.

I read the book about a month ago and I thought it was ok. The author has a "different" writing style; he jumps all over the place from chapter to chapter and it's not really smooth. But he does some good research and reading about the exorcisms in Italy was cool. I can already tell which scenes will be taken from the book and I can't wait to see how they do it. 
On the subject of frightened; I saw the Exorcist when it came out. It was so popular I had to go to a show pretty far from my house, and I had to go to the Midnight show because there were too too many folks trying to see it. Me and my brother-in-law and my sister went together. My sister ain't a woos, she has courage and isn't easily frightened. We saw the movie, and it was a shocker.

We went to get the car and it was about 15 below that night. my brother-in-law's 66 Biscayne would not start. We tried to get some help but most went straight home ignoring anyone or anything in their way. A brave soul stopped and gave us a jump. We went home.

An hour and a half later my sister and her husband called and asked if they could stay at my house. I said okay. They came and my sister and her husband brought their mattress and slept on my floor for three days. She couldn't explain in words the terror she felt, and her husband, new to her, could not console her.

What she didn't know and I never told her was I was as terrified, and I couldn't explain it either. It was like I was on amphetamines. It was wide eyed hysteria. I didn't know where or what was going only the fear, for a few days.

tim