Is Australia a good place for a Catholic?
(11-18-2010, 08:40 PM)ggreg Wrote: Stay where you are and spend the travel money on beans and bullets.  That is my advice.

God will look after you, or perhaps he will let you go out in a blaze of gunfire like the heros of the Alamo or Omaha beach.

One day they might build a statue to the fallen who stood up and write your name on it.  Who knows your photograph might end up on the gold backed money of the future.

I take it you don't have children or you would not have such a madcap idea.

Better the devil you know than the Tasmanian Devil you don't.  In the US you have neighbours and friends and a community, you know the lie of the land and can sense the way the wind blows.  In Australia you're just an "awkward, wacko bloody Yank".

Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide.  That is why they call it the New WORLD Order.

Maybe you could sell the farm, buy a ticket for the Virgin Spacecraft, hijack it and boldly go where no man has gone before.  That is about the only way to escape what is coming.

I'm actually rather looking forward to it, (in a sick perverse way).  I've always liked a challenge.
:clap: :cheers:
(11-18-2010, 07:20 PM)Jitpring Wrote: As for Australia, my understanding is that it's a wasteland for genuine Catholicism. Your only hope would be to associate with the SSPX.

This is completely false.

I refuse to participate in anything SSPX-related and I have no problem whatsoever finding orthodox, traditional Catholicism. I attend TLM several times per week at a canonical diocesan parish - there is no need to go to SSPX parishes here. There are plenty of orthodox priests here (although most of the older ones are quite liberal) and the current generation of pious practicing young Catholics and seminarians are highly orthodox and traditional. Australia is fine for Catholics.
(11-18-2010, 08:43 PM)Raskolnikov Wrote:
(11-18-2010, 07:20 PM)Jitpring Wrote: As for Australia, my understanding is that it's a wasteland for genuine Catholicism. Your only hope would be to associate with the SSPX.

This is completely false.

I refuse to participate in anything SSPX-related and I have no problem whatsoever finding orthodox, traditional Catholicism. I attend TLM several times per week at a canonical diocesan parish - there is no need to go to SSPX parishes here. There are plenty of orthodox priests here (although most of the older ones are quite liberal) and the current generation of pious practicing young Catholics and seminarians are highly orthodox and traditional. Australia is fine for Catholics.

As an Australian, I'd have to agree with the above observations of Raskolnikov. Although I would add it would also depend on the diocese you are in, not to mention the parish church in question.
Of course, but there are many traditional Catholic communities located all around Australia who are not affiliated with the SSPX, so there are plenty of options.
Melbourne and Sydney, the two largest cities, are great dioceses. Cardinal Pell and Arch Hart have both celebrated the Old Mass multiple times and both dioceses have large Latin Mass chaplaincies (approved), large SSPX churches and schools. There's a first year noviciate for FSSP seminarians in Sydney.

On the down side the SSPX are probably going to close their seminary because they're not getting any vocations.
(11-18-2010, 08:40 PM)ggreg Wrote: Stay where you are and spend the travel money on beans and bullets.  That is my advice.

God will look after you, or perhaps he will let you go out in a blaze of gunfire like the heros of the Alamo or Omaha beach.

One day they might build a statue to the fallen who stood up and write your name on it.  Who knows your photograph might end up on the gold backed money of the future.

Better the devil you know than the Tasmanian Devil you don't.  In the US you have neighbours and friends and a community, you know the lie of the land and can sense the way the wind blows.  In Australia you're just an "awkward, wacko bloody Yank".

Maybe you could sell the farm, buy a ticket for the Virgin Spacecraft, hijack it and boldly go where no man has gone before.  That is about the only way to escape what is coming.

I'm actually rather looking forward to it, (in a sick perverse way).  I've always liked a challenge.

Actually, I do have a baby girl.  The wife is from East Asia, and she's not too happy with the culture here in the US.  Me neither (probably why I chose to marry a foreigner.)  Anyhoo, madcap idea?  Nah.  I figure the madcap idea is to have the whole family go out in a blaze of "glory" like the Alamo.

My inspiration is the folks who fled Germany and the Soviet Union (Vietnam, too, for that matter) before the countries were overcome.
Laramie thnk about well clearly u havnt. U can belittle those here who would rstherbzta in their land yor land and fight or bunker  down all bwant but one thng u havnt done is think thngs through
son want to flee thbstates for some place anyplace else
ok
ibwould rather end up on a first world country obviously
ok
so u thnk austraila maybe or Malta butvhis is where u r silly here
where u re right now the states, is. Ig enough and rich enough and has freedom enough for u to truly fnd a safe placeto bring your kids up awayfrom the comming nightmare enough for u to be able to find a place condusive for bto lve and get away if Need be. Sure of the state WANs u the tad will get u but when the shit hits IRS not thebatate u should be worried about
it really isn't
thnk it through why move to an island (Malta) or a huge one liek austraial a forigner to wait for the shi to ht their?
Doesn't make sense
if u reallythink this through u would understand u r I. A nation that offers u allot of options to prep and live throgh the comming storm if u prep and think
or bcan just hop a plane wih your family to some other place and think that will be the answer
your call
(11-18-2010, 08:43 PM)Raskolnikov Wrote: I refuse to participate in anything SSPX-related

Why?
(11-18-2010, 10:04 PM)LaramieHirsch Wrote:

Actually, I do have a baby girl.  The wife is from East Asia, and she's not too happy with the culture here in the US.  Me neither (probably why I chose to marry a foreigner.)  Anyhoo, madcap idea?  Nah.  I figure the madcap idea is to have the whole family go out in a blaze of "glory" like the Alamo.

My inspiration is the folks who fled Germany and the Soviet Union (Vietnam, too, for that matter) before the countries were overcome.

I don't think it's a crime to flee for your family's sake or even your own. After all, Dietrich von Hildebrand fled the Nazis as did a great Austrian Catholic who mentored my father in college. My concern for you would be that you carefully check out Australian immigration policies and your chances of finding a work.

C.
(11-18-2010, 10:22 PM)Jitpring Wrote:
(11-18-2010, 08:43 PM)Raskolnikov Wrote: I refuse to participate in anything SSPX-related

Why?

Because he doesn't understand why he stills has a TLM to go to.  ::)