Is Australia a good place for a Catholic?
its a shame that mudslinging is not compatible with catholicism, because it so entertaing .....as long as nobodies feelings are getting hurt, that is
(11-18-2010, 09:33 PM)Servus_Maria Wrote: Melbourne and Sydney, the two largest cities, are great dioceses. Cardinal Pell and Arch Hart have both celebrated the Old Mass multiple times and both dioceses have large Latin Mass chaplaincies (approved), large SSPX churches and schools. There's a first year noviciate for FSSP seminarians in Sydney.

On the down side the SSPX are probably going to close their seminary because they're not getting any vocations.

i did wonder why they built a seminary down under when they could just send Asian vocations to the USA and expand the seminary there. Better use of resources too.

Don't know about them planning to close though!

i was very surprised at the negative response to the thread starter's plans. If Australia has more options for him job-wise and as a traditional Catholic (more options for Mass, school etc) then it will be reasonable to move, although having been there a few times i don't think the advantages outweigh the costs of moving yourself there.

He is not running away. I have a friend who moved a great distance to teach at the school of the teaching Dominicans in Wanganui New Zealand with a family. If anyone gets a similar opportunity or is able to attend Mass more often by moving, why not?

And for God's sake don't compare the SSPX with the Orthodox-- one is schismatic, doesn't agree on many important dogmas and has been so for hundreds of years. The other is not and is working to get itself out of business in a Church that will hopefully regain what it threw away.
(11-19-2010, 12:12 AM)Scipio_a Wrote:
(11-18-2010, 11:50 PM)Raskolnikov Wrote:
(11-18-2010, 10:55 PM)dymphna17 Wrote:
(11-18-2010, 10:22 PM)Jitpring Wrote:
(11-18-2010, 08:43 PM)Raskolnikov Wrote: I refuse to participate in anything SSPX-related

Why?

Because he doesn't understand why he stills has a TLM to go to.  ::)

Yawn. I really can't be bothered with this. Go argue with the Pope, if you think you are so much smarter than him. 

Argue with the Pope...?...LOL

You still havenn't seen the news where the Pope really has no problem with the SSPX...and Rome actually has the SSPX in DOCTRINAL talks...lol

You can't be bothered with it because you know the truth of the matter but have a personal preference and fear of stepping up to the plate and all that goes with it...like being called a schismatic by the local ordinary, and having family go nuts on you...don't couch that in false logic...it looks bad

Not to mention the fact that the SSPX celebrates Mass in a side Chapel in St Peter's during the doctrinal discussions. ::)
(11-18-2010, 08:43 PM)Raskolnikov Wrote: I refuse to participate in anything SSPX-related

Why?

So sick of this argument. The SSPX has done a lot of good but does anyone really think that without Arch. Lefebvre the Old Mass would have fallen into disuse? The Institute of Christ the King is just one of many traditional priestly groups that don't owe their foundation to the SSPX.
(11-18-2010, 11:39 PM)ggreg Wrote: I lived in Sydney Australia for 3 years.  It was OK.  Lot of homos.  Working class moronic attitude in most of the population.  Males tend to be sport and sex obsessed and most people are pretty selfish and hedonistic.  Quite a gambling culture, lots of little enclaves of ethnics in the major cities.  Lot of new agers. There is more culture, history and sense of belonging in my local pub than the whole of Australia.

What you've just said is true of any Western city. Australia has plenty of culture, if you couldn't find it then you didn't know where to look.
(11-19-2010, 07:35 AM)Servus_Maria Wrote:

Why?

So sick of this argument. The SSPX has done a lot of good but does anyone really think that without Arch. Lefebvre the Old Mass would have fallen into disuse? The Institute of Christ the King is just one of many traditional priestly groups that don't owe their foundation to the SSPX.

Servus your a nice kid but seriously dude.... Just a quick look at wikipedia will tell you that ICTK was formed in 1990 the SSPX ordinations that made JPII's Zuchetto spin were done in 1988. So obviously this was an attempt at keeping Catholics in the Modernist fold. Interestingly the first Priests were ordained by Cardinal Siri who was nearly elected in 1958 to the Papacy had that happened we wouldn't have had to worry at all about a new Mass or these last 5 unCatholic Modernist Popes.

This of course doesn't mean that there aren't good Priests in the ICTK it just means Rome only allowed it due to the heroic stand of ABL.
(11-19-2010, 07:36 AM)Servus_Maria Wrote:
(11-18-2010, 11:39 PM)ggreg Wrote: I lived in Sydney Australia for 3 years.  It was OK.  Lot of homos.  Working class moronic attitude in most of the population.  Males tend to be sport and sex obsessed and most people are pretty selfish and hedonistic.  Quite a gambling culture, lots of little enclaves of ethnics in the major cities.  Lot of new agers. There is more culture, history and sense of belonging in my local pub than the whole of Australia.

What you've just said is true of any Western city. Australia has plenty of culture, if you couldn't find it then you didn't know where to look.

How can it have culture?  It is only 200 years old as a nation, 100 years if you are counting people turning up there of their own free choice and most of your "culture" was imported from Europe and other places.

Unless you count culture as Abo culture.  I don't.  To me they are just primitives.

Where is Australia's Rembrandt or Beethoven or Chartres Cathedral or William Shakespeare  or Bolshoi Ballet?  Where is your Jet Engine,  Hollywood Film Industry, Lightbulb or Microchip invention? (Which produces some great art as well as a lot of commercial trash).  Where is your Google?  Where are your Kings and Queens (apart from King's Cross in Sydney).  Let's face facts, even the names of your towns are copied from the old country or transliterated from the Abo primitives names.

Rolf Harris, Kielly Minogue, Crocodile Dundee, tinnies, Pokie machines, Utes.   None of those are culture.  Ned Kelly?  An irish criminal with a tin hat is about your most famous piece of history.

Give it another 1000 years though and who knows.

I went to the Australian National Museum in Sydney once, and had to ask for my money back.  More history in my local pub.  Mind you it was built in 1106
(11-19-2010, 08:55 AM)ggreg Wrote:
(11-19-2010, 07:36 AM)Servus_Maria Wrote:

How can it have culture?  It is only 200 years old as a nation, 100 years if you are counting people turning up there of their own free choice and most of your "culture" was imported from Europe and other places.

Unless you count culture as Abo culture.  I don't.  To me they are just primitives.

Where is Australia's Rembrandt or Beethoven or Chartres Cathedral or William Shakespeare  or Bolshoi Ballet?  Where is your Jet Engine,  Hollywood Film Industry, Lightbulb or Microchip invention? (Which produces some great art as well as a lot of commercial trash).  Where is your Google?  Where are your Kings and Queens (apart from King's Cross in Sydney).  Let's face facts, even the names of your towns are copied from the old country or transliterated from the Abo primitives names.

Rolf Harris, Kielly Minogue, Crocodile Dundee, tinnies, Pokie machines, Utes.   None of those are culture.  Ned Kelly?  An irish criminal with a tin hat is about your most famous piece of history.

Give it another 1000 years though and who knows.

I went to the Australian National Museum in Sydney once, and had to ask for my money back.  More history in my local pub.  Mind you it was built in 1106

Our kings and queens are your kings and queens.  Melbourne has some of the best restaurants in the world (in large part due to its multicultural character). Theatre is very big here, I saw a great performance of "Fiddler on the Roof" a while ago. St. Patrick's Cathedral in Melbourne is incredibly beautiful gothic revival architecture as is St Mary's in Sydney. I've never been to the National Museum in Sydney but the Royal exhibition centre is pretty incredibly. Try Lygon street in Carlton ("little Italy"). Failing that go down to St. Kilda Esplanade and play with the kids on the beach before getting some ice cream and watching the sun set, it might not be Chartres Cathedral but it sure is a good way to spend the summer.

Saying that Australia has nothing to offer other than "abo" art (I believe racism isn't allowed here either, if you wouldn't say XXXX then don't say abo. It's usually only done by those stupid, sports mad types you alluded to in your previous post) or Ned Kelly  is like saying Britain has nothing to offer except inbred royals and toothless chavs. Both of our countries certainly have their negative traits but it's unfair to reduce either of them down to their worst elements. Funnily enough an internationally acclaimed Australian playwright, Hannie Rayson, wrote a play called "Hotel Sorrento" that explores many of your claims.

[Image: 800pxroyalexhibitionbuildingtu.jpg]
The derogatory term for an African-American I wrote to prove my point is what came up as XXXX
Where ever u g laramie do t come to Canada
we have t many America. Pussies who ran up already. Diserterrs and weirdo losers. Ubshould go to Mexico Lad. Mexico is a great country allot. Fun but I wouldn't bring toe family with u.
Anyway where ever u go do t come up here
in charity
dk