Andreas Vesalius/ Adam's Rib
I'm reading a book that states Vesalius was was forced to hide from Church authorities before he became physician to Charles V because he'd been accused of heresy. The Catholic Encyclopedia says that was refuted. The same book says he discovered that men and women both have twelve ribs and this disproved Church doctrine that men had only eleven ribs. I can't imagine that was ever a doctrine of the Church but has anyone ever heard of it before?
(11-18-2010, 10:21 PM)kimbaichan Wrote: I'm reading a book that states Vesalius was was forced to hide from Church authorities before he became physician to Charles V because he'd been accused of heresy. The Catholic Encyclopedia says that was refuted. The same book says he discovered that men and women both have twelve ribs and this disproved Church doctrine that men had only eleven ribs. I can't imagine that was ever a doctrine of the Church but has anyone ever heard of it before?

There is a lot of lore from the past ages which are mistaken as doctrine.

He did systematically study the human body and disprove commonly held beliefs, most of which rested on the Roman Aelius Galenus.

There were always rumours concerning public figures in any age. He disproved the mistakes of the Roman (Galen) by actually dissecting human bodies instead of apes and did have to move because of political conflicts in Europe. In fact, Charles V held an inquiry into some of his findings (he was cleared), but supports of Galen were mostly the ones to make any accusations, including saying that the human body changed since Galen studied it!

He did prove certain misconceptions about anatomy, but none of them concerned Church teaching, only commonly held believes (ribs being one of them, but this was not controversial).

Thanks Ros, I knew I could count on you.  ;)
(11-19-2010, 10:31 AM)kimbaichan Wrote: Thanks Ros, I knew I could count on you.   ;)

I didn't know all that. I just researched the facts a bit.

Be careful of uncited examples of uncharacteristic actions of the Church. Almost all historical events are a bit more complex than what can be stated shortly and without substantial citation of historical records.

Usually, it is either willful ignorance or deliberate attacks on the Church. When it comes to citing sources which are not circular, things become more clear