Meatless Friday Question
Okay, so on the way home from Mass today, I was eating a turkey sandwich and then realized it was Friday. What exactly are the rules for meatless Fridays and does it bind under pain of sin? What if I have fish for supper and say extra prayers?
If you forgot it's not a sin. 
Wrap the sandwich up and find something else, or just skip that meal. SCG is right, sin requires intention.
I ended up finishing the sandwich because my mom was insisting that my dad and I eat something. I'm planning on eating fish for supper, though.

I'm just wondering where this falls on the sin spectrum. In the US, I know you can substitute prayer or another good work for meatless Fridays, but I live in Canada. Is it the same here?
Actually, I just found an article that explains it.

Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops:

Throughout the year, every Friday is a day of abstinence from meat, obliging all Catholics who are 14 years or older.

We may also substitute other good actions for abstinence from meat. These could include special acts of charity (visiting the sick or aged, helping those in any need, contributing time or money to a work of charity) or other acts of piety (taking part in a service of worship with others, praying with our family, spending some extra time in personal prayer, especially with God’s holy word in the scriptures).

http://www.cccb.ca/site/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2327&Itemid=1172&lang=eng
I follow the commandments of the Church according to the Baltimore Catechism.  The Baltimore Catechism is soundly Catholic. 
We are bound, under the pain of sin, to observe the commandments of the Church:

Q. 1325. Are not the commandments of the Church also commandments of God?

A. The commandments of the Church are also commandments of God, because they are made by His authority, and we are bound under pain of sin to observe them.

Q. 1326. What is the difference between the commandments of God and the Commandments of the Church?

A. The commandments of God were given by God Himself to Moses on Mount Sinai; the commandments of the Church were given on different occasions by the lawful authorities of the Church. The Commandments given by God Himself cannot be changed by the Church; but the commandments made by the Church itself may be changed by its authority as necessity requires.

Q. 1327. Which are the chief commandments of the Church?

A. The chief commandments of the Church are six:
  1. To hear Mass on Sundays and holydays of obligation.

2. To fast and abstain on the days appointed.

3. To confess at least once a year.
  4. To receive the Holy Eucharist during the Easter time.
  5. To contribute to the support of our pastors.
  6. Not to marry persons who are not Catholics, or who are related to us within the third degree of kindred, nor privately without witnesses, nor to solemnize marriage at forbidden times.

(11-19-2010, 01:36 PM)Pax et Bonum Wrote: I ended up finishing the sandwich because my mom was insisting that my dad and I eat something. I'm planning on eating fish for supper, though.

I'm just wondering where this falls on the sin spectrum. In the US, I know you can substitute prayer or another good work for meatless Fridays, but I live in Canada. Is it the same here?

Are your parents Catholic?
(11-19-2010, 02:07 PM)ardens Wrote:
(11-19-2010, 01:36 PM)Pax et Bonum Wrote: I ended up finishing the sandwich because my mom was insisting that my dad and I eat something. I'm planning on eating fish for supper, though.

Are your parents Catholic?

Yes, but we all go to the Novus Ordo and they aren't really trads.
(11-19-2010, 02:04 PM)mike6240 Wrote: I follow the commandments of the Church according to the Baltimore Catechism.  The Baltimore Catechism is soundly Catholic. 
We are bound, under the pain of sin, to observe the commandments of the Church:

Q. 1325. Are not the commandments of the Church also commandments of God?

A. The commandments of the Church are also commandments of God, because they are made by His authority, and we are bound under pain of sin to observe them.

Q. 1326. What is the difference between the commandments of God and the Commandments of the Church?

A. The commandments of God were given by God Himself to Moses on Mount Sinai; the commandments of the Church were given on different occasions by the lawful authorities of the Church. The Commandments given by God Himself cannot be changed by the Church; but the commandments made by the Church itself may be changed by its authority as necessity requires.

Q. 1327. Which are the chief commandments of the Church?

A. The chief commandments of the Church are six:
   1. To hear Mass on Sundays and holydays of obligation.

2. To fast and abstain on the days appointed.

3. To confess at least once a year.
   4. To receive the Holy Eucharist during the Easter time.
   5. To contribute to the support of our pastors.
   6. Not to marry persons who are not Catholics, or who are related to us within the third degree of kindred, nor privately without witnesses, nor to solemnize marriage at forbidden times.

So given what I've mentioned, if I eat fish for supper and add extra prayers, would that be acceptable?
(11-19-2010, 02:10 PM)Pax et Bonum Wrote:
(11-19-2010, 02:07 PM)ardens Wrote: Are your parents Catholic?

Yes, but we all go to the Novus Ordo and they aren't really trads.

If you think  it would be ok, try to tell your parents about your decision not to eat meat on Friday as a penitential practice. This is still in effect everywhere - in certain dioceses we are given leave to substitute the Friday abstinence with another penitential practice if we choose.

They may not like it, in which case obey your parents, and if you cannot get out of eating meat and it is not your decision, I would say eat what is placed before you. They are your parents and should be obeyed with charity and devotion.

But if they say no, or you don't think you could tell them, you need to talk to a traditional priest about this. See if you can get one on the phone if you don't have a car or anything. You're obligated to keep the laws of the Church and to obey your parents.