Meatless Friday Question
Well, my mom prepares the meals, and she is extremely understanding in my desire to abstain from meat on Fridays. She usually makes me meatless stir-fries or fish. We were just approaching a nearby Tim Hortons at the time and she really wanted me to get something for a late breakfast/early lunch.

Since Canada also allows a substitution, I'll probably say some extra prayers, perhaps a litany.
Pax there is NO sin if you didnt do it on purpose, I'm encouraged that you have seized upon the graces of WISDOM that JESUS has sent you and are concerned about this and the salvation of your soul which is the ultimate reason for our lives. JESUS BLESS YOU WITH MORE GRACES!!!!!!!!!!!!
(11-19-2010, 02:38 PM)salus Wrote: Pax there is NO sin if you didnt do it on purpose, I'm encouraged that you have seized upon the graces of WISDOM that JESUS has sent you and are concerned about this and the salvation of your soul which is the ultimate reason for our lives. JESUS BLESS YOU WITH MORE GRACES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, at first I was truly ignorant, but I finished the sandwich out of obedience to my mother. I am going to practice other penitential practices later today as a substitution.

Thank you!! May God bless you as well! :D
(11-19-2010, 02:14 PM)Pax et Bonum Wrote:
(11-19-2010, 02:04 PM)mike6240 Wrote: I follow the commandments of the Church according to the Baltimore Catechism.  The Baltimore Catechism is soundly Catholic. 
We are bound, under the pain of sin, to observe the commandments of the Church:

Q. 1325. Are not the commandments of the Church also commandments of God?

A. The commandments of the Church are also commandments of God, because they are made by His authority, and we are bound under pain of sin to observe them.

Q. 1326. What is the difference between the commandments of God and the Commandments of the Church?

A. The commandments of God were given by God Himself to Moses on Mount Sinai; the commandments of the Church were given on different occasions by the lawful authorities of the Church. The Commandments given by God Himself cannot be changed by the Church; but the commandments made by the Church itself may be changed by its authority as necessity requires.

Q. 1327. Which are the chief commandments of the Church?

A. The chief commandments of the Church are six:
   1. To hear Mass on Sundays and holydays of obligation.

2. To fast and abstain on the days appointed.

3. To confess at least once a year.
   4. To receive the Holy Eucharist during the Easter time.
   5. To contribute to the support of our pastors.
   6. Not to marry persons who are not Catholics, or who are related to us within the third degree of kindred, nor privately without witnesses, nor to solemnize marriage at forbidden times.

So given what I've mentioned, if I eat fish for supper and add extra prayers, would that be acceptable?

You should mention it in the confessional and yes, extra prayers would be acceptable.  From what you wrote, you broke the Church's law on abstinence regardless of the circumstances.  It should be confessed.
(11-19-2010, 02:41 PM)Pax et Bonum Wrote:
(11-19-2010, 02:38 PM)salus Wrote: Pax there is NO sin if you didnt do it on purpose, I'm encouraged that you have seized upon the graces of WISDOM that JESUS has sent you and are concerned about this and the salvation of your soul which is the ultimate reason for our lives. JESUS BLESS YOU WITH MORE GRACES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, at first I was truly ignorant, but I finished the sandwich out of obedience to my mother. I am going to practice other penitential practices later today as a substitution.

Thank you!! May God bless you as well! :D

This is perfectly acceptable under Church Law. Obedience to your mother is one of the 10 Commandments.

(11-19-2010, 02:47 PM)mike6240 Wrote:
(11-19-2010, 02:04 PM)mike6240 Wrote: I follow the commandments of the Church according to the Baltimore Catechism.  The Baltimore Catechism is soundly Catholic. 

A. The commandments of the Church are also commandments of God, because they are made by His authority, and we are bound under pain of sin to observe them.

Q. 1326. What is the difference between the commandments of God and the Commandments of the Church?

A. The commandments of God were given by God Himself to Moses on Mount Sinai; the commandments of the Church were given on different occasions by the lawful authorities of the Church. The Commandments given by God Himself cannot be changed by the Church; but the commandments made by the Church itself may be changed by its authority as necessity requires.

6. Not to marry persons who are not Catholics, or who are related to us within the third degree of kindred, nor privately without witnesses, nor to solemnize marriage at forbidden times.

So given what I've mentioned, if I eat fish for supper and add extra prayers, would that be acceptable?

You should mention it in the confessional and yes, extra prayers would be acceptable.  From what you wrote, you broke the Church's law on abstinence regardless of the circumstances.  It should be confessed.

But where I'm from, the law on abstinence is lax. Why confess it if I'm obeying my bishops?

Thank you for your input, Petertherock. :D
(11-19-2010, 02:57 PM)Pax et Bonum Wrote:
(11-19-2010, 02:47 PM)mike6240 Wrote:

But where I'm from, the law on abstinence is lax. Why confess it if I'm obeying my bishops?

Thank you for your input, Petertherock. :D

We are all free to choose whether or not to follow the Church's law (this including priests, bishops, etc).  This still does not negate the Church's precepts.  The Church Precepts state you are bound under the pain of sin to observe the laws of fast and abstinence.  You didn't do this.  I would confess it and abide what your confessor tells you.  By doing this, you have followed the Church's law - which brings blessings and graces to you.
He forgot then his mom forced him to finish the sandwich, I highly doubt its a sin, an imperfection at best. You can mention it in confession if you want, but I would not consider it a sin given the circumstances if you truly and honestly forgot, not "oh I'm not suppose to eat meat today" then you ate the turkey at lunch knowing full well you had been reminded by grace earlier in the day not to.

But in any other normal circumstance, yes this is the norm, just don't forget next time.
I'm confused. Is this a Canadian thing or a trad thing? As far as I know, in the US the only days when abstinence is required are Ash Wednesday and Fridays during Lent. I regularly eat meat on Fridays during the rest of the year, and I'm not aware that there's anythign wrong with that. I think abstinence on regular Fridays might be suggested, but I'm pretty sure it's not required (at least not in the US). Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not being a wise guy here, just legitimately confused.
(11-19-2010, 03:19 PM)Atomagenesis Wrote: He forgot then his mom forced him to finish the sandwich, I highly doubt its a sin, an imperfection at best. You can mention it in confession if you want, but I would not consider it a sin given the circumstances if you truly and honestly forgot, not "oh I'm not suppose to eat meat today" then you ate the turkey at lunch knowing full well you had been reminded by grace earlier in the day not to.

But in any other normal circumstance, yes this is the norm, just don't forget next time.

I won't. I wrote a note to myself to remind me. :)

Grasshopper - In Canada and the US, you must abstain on Ash Wednesday and Fridays during Lent. Other Fridays, you should either abstain from meat or do a charitable or pious work in substitution for the abstinence.