Traditional Catholic Fasting Laws and Diabetics
A question to those in the know about this while I'm getting over a bout of sickness related to my Type 2 diabetes. (BTW, please pray for me that I get over this bout a.s.a.p. I see my diabetic teaching nurse at a local hospital this Monday morning.)

Diabetics normally have restricted diets in the first place. Best diet is to go low-carb all the way. Meaning no bread, pasta, sugars or anything spiking the blood sugar. In light of this, many folks are going down the Atkins or Modified Atkins diet or something similar to that. Part of that is a lot of meat eating, being low-carb and all.

However, we Trads still fast on Fridays and Ember Days for love of Our Lord, as we should.

My question here is what the fasting laws of the Church are in relation to diabetics. I want to make sure I am in complete obedience to them while I'm managing this bloody disease.

Any info is greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

BTW, with your permission, I recommend this website of a fellow Type 2 who is taking no prisoners in managing his diabetes:

http://www.diabetes-warrior.net/
The Church does not expect you to endanger your health.  As a diabetic, you must eat when you need to do so, and the fasting laws (i.e. regulating the intake of food)  do not apply to you.  If you have scruples about this, ask your pastor for a dispensation. 

If you're talking about abstinence, can't you just substitute fish for meat?
(11-19-2010, 04:11 PM)spasiisochrani Wrote: The Church does not expect you to endanger your health.  As a diabetic, you must eat when you need to do so, and the fasting laws (i.e. regulating the intake of food)  do not apply to you.  If you have scruples about this, ask your pastor for a dispensation. 

Unfortunately, I have allergic reactions to both fish and eggs. Have ever since I was a boy.
(11-19-2010, 05:11 PM)HailGilbert Wrote:
(11-19-2010, 04:11 PM)spasiisochrani Wrote: The Church does not expect you to endanger your health.  As a diabetic, you must eat when you need to do so, and the fasting laws (i.e. regulating the intake of food)  do not apply to you.  If you have scruples about this, ask your pastor for a dispensation. 

Unfortunately, I have allergic reactions to both fish and eggs. Have ever since I was a boy.

Well then, it seems that your health does not permit you to observe fasing and abstinence.  The Church does not ask you to do the impossible.  In his Moral Theology, 18th edition (1962), Fr. Heribert Jone says of fasting, "When health or the ability to work would be seriously affected, the law does not oblige", and "Physical or moral impossibility excuses from the law of fasting."  Moral impossibility is Catholic jargon for  extreme difficulty.  He also says, "The following are excused from the law of abstinence:  The sick and convalescent, women who are pregnant and who require meat nourishment....Workmen doing unusually hard labor, especially work that gives one an appetite, as, at the furnaces, in the mines, etc.; poor people who have not sufficient Lenten food."  If you still think you are bound to fast and abstinence, he also points out that "Individual dispensations from the laws of fasting can be obtained from one's pastor..." 
Can you ask the nurse about vegetarian meals?  They can be very healthy (you can avoid eggs and fish also.)  You may have to be careful of some veggies and fruits as they could spike your blood sugar.  Beans are pretty healthy.  I've got a no meat chilli recipe that is pretty good (no tofu involved.)  It's pretty low fat and low calorie, but I don't know how it rates for sugars.  (It's almost the perfect recipe cuz it's easy, too. :) )
(11-19-2010, 01:47 PM)HailGilbert Wrote: A question to those in the know about this while I'm getting over a bout of sickness related to my Type 2 diabetes. (BTW, please pray for me that I get over this bout a.s.a.p. I see my diabetic teaching nurse at a local hospital this Monday morning.)

Diabetics normally have restricted diets in the first place. Best diet is to go low-carb all the way. Meaning no bread, pasta, sugars or anything spiking the blood sugar. In light of this, many folks are going down the Atkins or Modified Atkins diet or something similar to that. Part of that is a lot of meat eating, being low-carb and all.

However, we Trads still fast on Fridays and Ember Days for love of Our Lord, as we should.

My question here is what the fasting laws of the Church are in relation to diabetics. I want to make sure I am in complete obedience to them while I'm managing this bloody disease.

Any info is greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

BTW, with your permission, I recommend this website of a fellow Type 2 who is taking no prisoners in managing his diabetes:

http://www.diabetes-warrior.net/

I don't see how avoiding meat on Fridays or other days would affect you too seriously. Is fish not allowed for diabetics? Maybe I'm missing something but do diabetics HAVE to eat meat every day? I think you really need the advice of health care professionals above all else.
The Mayo clinic seems to think a vegetarian diet can be helpful to diabetics:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/diabetes/AN00845

C.

C.