Cooking Turkey.
I've got this Julia Child cookbook and she says to cut the legs off, tie them up and cook the legs and breast separately because the breast takes a shorter (edit) time than the legs....Then she cuts the back out and uses it in her stock. You cook the legs and breast, then reconstruct the turkey for a nice presentation at the table. Huh.  :idea: Okay. Does anybody else do this?

How do you cook your turkey? What side dishes are you making this Thanksgiving? What about the wine; what's a good one? 

I really like Thanksgiving, except for the fact that it leads into preparation for Christmas and I get overloaded. But that's a topic for a different thread.

"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
Sounds complicated. In our family we just cook the turkey whole with stuffing inside. This year I'm going across the pond and going to attempt a big thanksgiving feed with all the authentic food....pumpkin pie, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, stuffing, etc. It's hard to find a fresh turkey right now so I going to have to use a frozen one. I'm sort of nervous about the whole thing.

I like thanksgiving, too.  :)
(11-20-2010, 02:14 PM)Iolanthe Wrote: Sounds complicated. In our family we just cook the turkey whole with stuffing inside. This year I'm going across the pond and going to attempt a big thanksgiving feed with all the authentic food....pumpkin pie, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, stuffing, etc. It's hard to find a fresh turkey right now so I going to have to use a frozen one. I'm sort of nervous about the whole thing.

I like thanksgiving, too.  :)

Wow, that sounds fun... How many people will you be cooking for?
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
sweet pooatos with marshmallows

this look like good recipe!

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1650,132...98,00.html
Sweet potatoes and coconut. Soooo good!

I wish I could cook a better turkey, but I don't know if I could manage cutting the legs off and then putting it back together without presenting something that looks curiously like roadkill. I'm not a good cook.

I was thinking about injecting broth into the turkey this year, or using a brine bath. I've roasted a turkey every year for 20 years and I'm no closer to a good one than the first year (the year I left the giblets inside in their plastic bag while it roasted. I'm not a good cook. Did I already say that?  :laughing:)
(11-20-2010, 03:06 PM)ResiduumRevertetur Wrote: Sweet potatoes and coconut. Soooo good!
:)

(11-20-2010, 03:06 PM)ResiduumRevertetur Wrote: I wish I could cook a better turkey, but I don't know if I could manage cutting the legs off and then putting it back together without presenting something that looks curiously like roadkill. I'm not a good cook.
:laughing: Well, if ya think about it, the legs have got to come off sometime, so I figger it's better to cut 'em off before cooking instead of after.

(11-20-2010, 03:06 PM)ResiduumRevertetur Wrote: I was thinking about injecting broth into the turkey this year, or using a brine bath. I've roasted a turkey every year for 20 years and I'm no closer to a good one than the first year (the year I left the giblets inside in their plastic bag while it roasted. I'm not a good cook. Did I already say that?  :laughing:)
Let us know how it goes if you do; I've never done either, I just baste the bird like about every 20 mins or so. I also put bacon on top of the skin.
(11-20-2010, 02:59 PM)icecream Wrote: sweet pooatos with marshmallows

this look like good recipe!

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1650,132...98,00.html

that's an American classic, right up there with the french onion and green bean recipe.

French's Original Green Bean Casserole

2 9 oz pkgs frozen cut green beans
1 can cream of mushroom soup
3/4 c milk
1/8 tsp pepper
1 1/3 c French's Onion Rings

Mix all ingredients except 2/3 c onion rings. Pour into buttered casserole and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Top with remaining onion rings and bake 5 minutes more or til onions are golden brown.

I don't take the legs and wings off.  If they seem like they're getting dry I just wrap them in aluminum foil.

I wash the bird and dry it with paper towels, inside and out.  Then salt the cavity and the outside well.  Wrap it up and let it sit in the fridge for at least 24 hours. 

I rub some melted butter on in when I'm ready to roast.  Sometimes I stuff some fresh herbs (and more butter) under the skin.  I always start the cooking with the turkey BREAST DOWN.  Keeps the breast from drying out.  I flip it over for the last half hour to brown the skin.

Just had a baby 6 weeks ago so we're not hosting this year.  But dh's aunt and unlce put on a great meal :)
I usually brine it. It makes a huge difference. I use something similar to Alton Brown's Citrus Brine.
(11-22-2010, 10:06 AM)KatieH Wrote: I don't take the legs and wings off.  If they seem like they're getting dry I just wrap them in aluminum foil.

I wash the bird and dry it with paper towels, inside and out.  Then salt the cavity and the outside well.  Wrap it up and let it sit in the fridge for at least 24 hours. 

I rub some melted butter on in when I'm ready to roast.  Sometimes I stuff some fresh herbs (and more butter) under the skin.  I always start the cooking with the turkey BREAST DOWN.  Keeps the breast from drying out.  I flip it over for the last half hour to brown the skin.

Just had a baby 6 weeks ago so we're not hosting this year.  But dh's aunt and unlce put on a great meal :)

I do that with my leg-o-lamb at Easter; butter, rosemary & thyme. What  herbs do you use for turkey?

Congrats on the new bb!  :baby: