Cooking Turkey.
I used to stuff it and roast the bird. Now I wouldn't because the stuffing needs more time and that drys the bird. Brining is the thing, it makes the bird moist and more tasty. There are brining instructions on the net, but you need an appropriately large container and room in the ice box. Or if it is cold then you could use the garage or some other cold sheltered spot.

I have come to this compromise after experimenting with roasting the bird. I tried Julia's method and I am real good with knives and butchering but I don't like it. So I use a big roasting rack, with the temperature prescribed. I start the bird back up for 1/2 the time, then take it out and flip it for the second half. I ignore the pop up timer, because they are for safety, not doneness. Get a digital thermometer for $20 and that is that. It browns both sides and keeps the breast a little more juicer.Remember it cooks after you take it out and let it rest.

I have not tried this on a turkey but on roaster chickens, and beef tenderloin roasts, so it's still experimental.
I have done this on roasting chickens and I wouldn't be afraid to do it to a turkey. I'd cook it until less than done but browned nicely, (using a little higher temperature) then shut the oven off and let it rest in the oven too finish for an hour.Cooking  a chicken I let it rest for twenty minutes for a bird about 6 lbs, so a turkey at 18 lbs. is 3x twenty minutes = 1 hour.

tim
(11-22-2010, 01:05 PM)Jacafamala Wrote: I do that with my leg-o-lamb at Easter; butter, rosemary & thyme. What  herbs do you use for turkey?

Congrats on the new bb!  :baby:

Thanks!  I usually do rosemary and a little sage.
Cooking turkey is hard.  >:(
(11-25-2010, 01:57 PM)Iolanthe Wrote: Cooking turkey is hard.  >:(

Oh no! Well, after all this was your first turkey, right? I expect a full report. Did you have to make alll the side dishes as well? If you have a crowd, and you have to do all the sides too, that IS really hard.

Cutting the turkey up prior to cooking worked out okay here... I think I'd do it again next time. The turkey was nice and moist. But then loading it down with bacon on top, also a butter soaked cheese cloth didn't hurt any.

I'm feeling very replete just now, though I may have one last glass of wine after I put the kids down. Wicked, yes.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
Yes, it was my first turkey all on my own, although I made the stuffing last year under maternal supervision.  ;D The whole thing went pretty well and the Brits here have taken to Thanksgiving with enthusiasm. I didn't make all the dishes; some people brought things like veggies and mashed potatoes and deserts. I realized while I was making the stuffing that there is no food processor here so I had to chop everything by hand and even rip up the bread in little pieces manually but the  end result was that it was chunky and not too mushy so I think I might prefer it that way. I wasn't sure how long to cook the turkey so I just ballparked it for three hours and it turned out fine--I put some butter and salt and pepper on the outside. I also made pumpkin pie but they don't have canned pumpkin or ready-made piecrusts here so that turned out to be all from scratch. The crust was some quasi-shortbread thing I found online which tasted ok but was pretty heavy and not the greatest. Lastly I made a sweet-potato casserole from a friend's mom's recipe with marshmallows and all.

Phew! It was worth it though. I resorted to wine during the rest of the evening, too. The bacon topping sounds good--how do you do that, exactly?
(11-28-2010, 01:17 PM)Iolanthe Wrote: Yes, it was my first turkey all on my own, although I made the stuffing last year under maternal supervision.  ;D The whole thing went pretty well and the Brits here have taken to Thanksgiving with enthusiasm.

I didn't realize they're doing Thanksgiving these days. That's interesting.

(11-28-2010, 01:17 PM)Iolanthe Wrote: I didn't make all the dishes; some people brought things like veggies and mashed potatoes and deserts.

That's the best way, then everyone gets a chance to bring their specialty. We almost always do that here.

(11-28-2010, 01:17 PM)Iolanthe Wrote: I realized while I was making the stuffing that there is no food processor here so I had to chop everything by hand and even rip up the bread in little pieces manually but the  end result was that it was chunky and not too mushy so I think I might prefer it that way.
I've never made stuffing from a loaf of bread. I've always gone for the Stove Top or Pepperidge Farm Stuffing, but I bet they don't have that in England, right? What other ingredients do you use along with the bread?

(11-28-2010, 01:17 PM)Iolanthe Wrote: I wasn't sure how long to cook the turkey so I just ballparked it for three hours and it turned out fine--I put some butter and salt and pepper on the outside.
Good instincts.  :)

(11-28-2010, 01:17 PM)Iolanthe Wrote: I also made pumpkin pie but they don't have canned pumpkin or ready-made piecrusts here so that turned out to be all from scratch. The crust was some quasi-shortbread thing I found online which tasted ok but was pretty heavy and not the greatest. Lastly I made a sweet-potato casserole from a friend's mom's recipe with marshmallows and all.

Wow, it's hard to believe they don't have those things over there... The pie crusts they sell here in the refrigerated section of the Supermarket are really good these days.... I've made my own, but it's not really worth it--better to buy it instead.

(11-28-2010, 01:17 PM)Iolanthe Wrote: Phew! It was worth it though. I resorted to wine during the rest of the evening, too.
Cheers!   :wine: :wine:

(11-28-2010, 01:17 PM)Iolanthe Wrote: The bacon topping sounds good--how do you do that, exactly?
All I do is lay it on top of the turkey before I put the bird in the oven. Then just keep an eye out to make sure it doesn't get too browned. I cover it with foil when the bacon and skin are the right color and keep it covered until the turkey meat's done.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
I know I'm a little late to this thread.  The WRC family ended up with an extra uncooked turkey yesterday that needed to get got, so I needed a last minute recipe.  No time for a brine, not much on hand in terms of seasoning or stuffings.  I found this Ina Garten recipe (one of the FEW people I respect as a cook on Food Network; so much of the other hosts make trash and pass it off as cooking) that blew me away on how easy and awesome it was.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-g...index.html
Looks good, WRC. Let us know how it turns out.
(11-29-2010, 06:28 PM)Jacafamala Wrote: Looks good, WRC. Let us know how it turns out.

Freaking awesome.  I'm throwing out my other recipes.
I tried cutting up the turkey, and turning up the heat (475), too. Turned out great, except I could only take the smoke from the spattering grease for so long before I panicked and turned the temp back down. Didn't matter, the breast meat was still awesome!