Cooking Turkey.
(11-29-2010, 08:15 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:
(11-29-2010, 06:28 PM)Jacafamala Wrote: Looks good, WRC. Let us know how it turns out.

Freaking awesome.  I'm throwing out my other recipes.
:)
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
(11-29-2010, 10:09 PM)ResiduumRevertetur Wrote: I tried cutting up the turkey, and turning up the heat (475), too. Turned out great, except I could only take the smoke from the spattering grease for so long before I panicked and turned the temp back down. Didn't matter, the breast meat was still awesome!
:laughing:
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

(11-20-2010, 10:16 AM)Jacafamala Wrote: I've got this Julia Child cookbook and she says to cut the legs off, tie them up and cook the legs and breast separately because the breast takes a shorter (edit) time than the legs....Then she cuts the back out and uses it in her stock. You cook the legs and breast, then reconstruct the turkey for a nice presentation at the table. Huh.  :idea: Okay. Does anybody else do this?

I saw this done by Julia and Jacques on television, and since then, I've been wanting to try it.
WRC, that recipe said 12 lbs. at 350 for 2.5 hrs = 12.5 minutes per lb. That seems very quick ? About how long did you roast the bird ?
tim
(11-30-2010, 03:07 PM)timoose Wrote: WRC, that recipe said 12 lbs. at 350 for 2.5 hrs = 12.5 minutes per lb. That seems very quick ? About how long did you roast the bird ?
tim

2.5 hours. On. The. Dot. 
(11-30-2010, 02:03 PM)Texican Wrote:
(11-20-2010, 10:16 AM)Jacafamala Wrote: I've got this Julia Child cookbook and she says to cut the legs off, tie them up and cook the legs and breast separately because the breast takes a shorter (edit) time than the legs....Then she cuts the back out and uses it in her stock. You cook the legs and breast, then reconstruct the turkey for a nice presentation at the table. Huh.  :idea: Okay. Does anybody else do this?

I saw this done by Julia and Jacques on television, and since then, I've been wanting to try it.

Oh, I like that show.  :) Yeah, Julia convinced me, plus this article my mother-in-law snipped out for me from the New York Times --she's always snipping little articles of interest. Anyway, it said all the big name New York chefs do it that way--they cut the bird up, because basically the white and the dark are two different meats and need two different amounts of time.