Pope says condoms are ok in some cases
SSPX here I come

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11804398

Pope Benedict condones condom use in some cases - book

Pope Benedict XVI has said the use of condoms is acceptable "in certain cases", according to a new book.

He said condoms could reduce the risk of infection with HIV, such as for a prostitute, in a series of interviews he gave to a German journalist.

The Vatican newspaper ran excerpts on Saturday.

The comments appear to soften the Roman Catholic Church's hardline stance, which until now had banned the use of any form of contraception.

When asked whether the Catholic Church is "fundamentally against the use of condoms", the Pope is said to have replied, in the book entitled Light of the World: The Pope, the Church and the Signs of the Times:

"It of course does not see it as a real and moral solution.

"In certain cases, where the intention is to reduce the risk of infection, it can nevertheless be a first step on the way to another, more humane sexuality," he said.

The Pope gives the example of the use of condoms by prostitutes as "a first step towards moralisation", even though condoms are "not really the way to deal with the evil of HIV infection".

The pope says that the "sheer fixation on the condom implies a banalisation of sexuality" where sexuality is no longer an expression of love, "but only a sort of drug that people administer to themselves".

Aids crisis

The Church's hardline stance over contraception has led the Vatican to being heavily criticised for its position in the context of the Aids crisis.

On a visit to Cameroon last year, the Pope said the use of condoms could endanger public health and increase the problem of HIV/Aids, rather than help to contain the virus. This drew criticism from several EU states.

Campaigners say condoms are one of the few methods proven to stop the spread of HIV.

The book is due to be published on Tuesday.
Actually, that's their interpretation of what His Holiness said. Bits from the book that I found on the web indicate that what the interviewer did was ask the Pope if condoms would help in not transmitting HIV, and the Pope admitted they did stop the disease transmission, but then gave that quote about condoms not being a real solution. To the media, this is saying that condoms are OK.
You have to remember that it's in their interests to get people to think the Church contradicts itself. That way, it's easier for them to make the case that "Well, the Church has contradicted her teachings before, so women priests should be OK now".
It's awful this story is making it's way around the web and is likely being reported the same way on T.V.  I must admit, I was stunned when I read the headline and story.  But it only makes sense that people are reading into this what they want and twisting what the pope said.  They've been doing this for years.  Back in the late 60's, they misquoted Pope Paul VI about the subject of veils.  He never said they were no longer required, but the press ran the story that they were obsolete.  Lord have mercy on us all. 
I think the papacy's pro-condom detractors are more interested in a complete repeal of Church teachings on contraception so that they can use such methods whenever they want to, and the AIDS issue is merely something used to achieve that end.

The BBC realizes that 99% of its public is not going to go out and see exactly what the pope said wherever it is written or recorded, and considering its shameless yellow journalistic approach to reporting on the papacy in the past, this was an intended result of their article.
The answer is right here:

Quote:It of course does not see it as a real and moral solution.

If it's not a moral solution, it's a sin, and not OK.  Nothing changed.

Of course, "moral" means nothing to secular humanists, and as long as condoms stop HIV, they're OK even if they're sinful.

The thing that gets me, is it's not true.  Condoms don't work.  I guess that truth won't get in their way either. The Pope is a nut for bringing it up again anyway.  Hate to say it but he brings most of his sufferings on by himself.
Yep, I heard this on Fox before my nap. The News Bunny was overflowing with smiles, flirting with the camera, and Fox has News Bunnies. I was shocked because I thought Fox would get closer to the truth but, no, the "condom+pill+kill the kid" mentality reigns supreme.
tim
Im glad this isn't as the press reported or else masterbation would be ok instead of risking an unwanted pregnancy. The Pope should be sitting down not with these reporters but with friends of the papacy such as those here online and others to give him ideas of orthodox solid priests to mmake bishops.
(11-20-2010, 04:47 PM)dymphna17 Wrote: The thing that gets me, is it's not true.  Condoms don't work.  I guess that truth won't get in their way either. The Pope is a nut for bringing it up again anyway.  Hate to say it but he brings most of his sufferings on by himself.

"work" is relative.  They do reduce the risk of HIV, but not of many STDs, and they are a lousy form of contraception.
How long Lord before you end this mess of heretic popes and the destruction of the Church from within?