Pope does not object to communion in the hand
Let's not forget, you don't even have to be Catholic.

[Image: communion1.jpg]
Pope Benedict has said in a new book that he is not opposed to the practice of receiving Communion in the hand. However he goes on to explain that he wants to encourage the reception of Communion on the tongue,  kneeling, out of respect for the Real  Presence in the Sacrament.In a long interview with German journalist Peter Seewald, which is being  published in a new book: ‘Light of the World’, out this Tuesday, the Holy Father says: “I am not opposed in principle to Communion in the hand; I have both administered and received Communion in this way myself.”

But, he explains: “The idea behind my current practice of having people kneel to receive Communion on the tongue was[i] to send a signal and to underscore the Real Presence with an exclamation point[/i]. One important reason is that there is a great danger of superficiality precisely in the kinds of Mass events we hold at Saint Peter’s, both in the Basilica and in the Square. I have heard of people who, after receiving Communion, stick the Host in their wallet to take home as a kind of souvenir.

“In this context, where people think that everyone is just automatically supposed to receive Communion — everyone else is going up, so I will, too—I wanted to send a clear signal. I wanted it to be clear:  Something quite special is going on here! He is here, the  One before whom we fall on our knees! Pay attention!“This is not just some social ritual in which we can take part if we want to.”

What would you Pope bashers prefered he said in answer to the question?

If he had condemned CITH the next question would have been, "So why don't you rescind the indult?"  As a veteran of many CITH debates on CAF I can assure you there are many who passionately defend their right to receive in hand while standing.  It is very possible that if the indult were rescinded today many Catholics would quit going to Mass in protest.  Yes, I know that may be a good thing as most aren't in a state of grace, however, clearly the papal strategy is to hang onto as many bodies in the pews and hope the next generation is more faithful.

Rebuilding the Church will not happen overnight.  It will be a slow and incremental process (as Father Z says, brick by brick).  The Pope is leading by example by only COTT at his Masses.  He has appointed more traditional and conservative cardinals and bishops.  We are on the right path but it will be a long journey.  Don't stop believing! 

Queen Sophia was extremely rude and unnecessarily confrontational but she was still within her rights to receive as she did.  What we need is for bishops to instruct their priests to bring catethesis back into their sermons, Benediction and Adoration on a weekly basis at least, then people will realize they should kneel in front of their King.

Okay, what's the story with the old lady (who's apparently not Catholic) receiving Communion?
Quote:What we need is for bishops to instruct their priests to bring catethesis back into their sermons

No, what we NEED is THE BISHOP of ROME to grow a pair, assume the full powers of the papacy instead of sluffing things off to the apostate bishops, and rescind the indult!

Pointing all these things out like this, which happen on a too-regular basis, is NOT 'pope-bashing'.
(11-21-2010, 11:02 PM)Gerard Wrote: I get the impression especially after this weekend that we've gotten all the good we're going to get out of this Pope. 

He seems to have given up even the appearance of pretending to be traditionally minded or even concerned about the crisis in the Church. 

All the talk about the dictatorship of relativism seems to be in need of revision,  "it's good if it's a benevolent dictatorship of relativism." 

I think this is a pretty accurate observation. I would like to also point out that it is now time to laugh at those who on forums like this would say things like "the pope is in danger and has many enemies".  If true, man up and accept martrydom. I would and I know I am not alone.
(11-22-2010, 10:03 AM)cunctas_haereses Wrote:
Quote:What we need is for bishops to instruct their priests to bring catethesis back into their sermons

No, what we NEED is THE BISHOP of ROME to grow a pair, assume the full powers of the papacy instead of sluffing things off to the apostate bishops, and rescind the indult!

Pointing all these things out like this, which happen on a too-regular basis, is NOT 'pope-bashing'.

Stating the pope needs to 'grow a pair' is indeed bashing - classless at that.
Is giving communion to non-catholics also part of the "brick by brick" rebuilding strategy?
+1 Vetus.

I was going to mention it, but after 40 years of this crap, I don't have the energy to argue with people like Ockham.

I submit to the temptation of letting them believe what they want to believe.

The buck stops at the top.  It is really that simple.  You cannot have a monarchy and absolve the monarch when it all goes wrong under his watch.

B16 lied about the Third Secret of Fatima.  That much is clear.  I don't trust the man.
(11-22-2010, 10:21 AM)Ockham Wrote:
(11-22-2010, 10:03 AM)cunctas_haereses Wrote:

Stating the pope needs to 'grow a pair' is indeed bashing - classless at that.

While the "grow a pair" comment was rude, I agree with the message. The Pope is being too ambiguous lately. On one hand he says that he wants everyone to realize that "something quite special is going on here! He is here, the  One before whom we fall on our knees! Pay attention!" and then says that he's not opposed to CITH. Then the whole condom issue...

We do need Pope Benedict XVI and the Church to be as direct as possible. All of these exceptions and "ifs" aren't helping. We can't afford to wait and "hope the next generation is more fruitful." The longer you leave a stain on a shirt, the tougher it is to get out.