Venison
Anyone got any good recipes that you've actually tried? Some men hunted on our land this weekend and brought us tribute, i.e., fresh deer meat, and I have no idea what to do with it. Not sure I have a recipe in any of my cookbooks.
Check allrecipes.com. It's got a whole bunch of recipes for what Albertans call 'deer meat', not venison. (However, search for 'venison' recipes! :laughing:)
Basic principles for most venison I have found (different deer species sometimes vary in flavour) have been sage, rosemary, and red wine.

For boned out pieces of meat, medallions or steak try this:

get about a cupful of red wine, add sage rosemary and brown sugar to taste as well as a wee bit of salt and pepper.

Marinate the meat in that for a couple of days in the fridge then drain the marinade into a bowl or something and use a small pan to begin reducing the marinade over a low heat.

Fry up the meat, then add the reduced marinade as a cook-in sauce for the last part of cooking.

Works for me.

Failing that, for big roast sized hunks of meat I just salt, pepper and season with sage.

Dewclaw Archery's website has some great recipes on there, including mine, so be sure and check those out!
Take it to a local butcher, and ask him to make it into a 60/40 venison/pork blend link sausage.  I like it with medium heat (red pepper).  Really good if he can hickory or mesquite smoke it for you.  Should cost about 50 cents/lb. for processing, plus the pork cost. 

Makes a dry sort of sausage that is fantastic.
(11-29-2010, 01:19 AM)James02 Wrote: Take it to a local butcher, and ask him to make it into a 60/40 venison/pork blend link sausage.  I like it with medium heat (red pepper).  Really good if he can hickory or mesquite smoke it for you.  Should cost about 50 cents/lb. for processing, plus the pork cost. 

Makes a dry sort of sausage that is fantastic.

Aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhh! No! Don't adulterate your venison, man! Lol. NO GO!

Pure venison sausages are quite nice...
My husband cooked some and it was quite nice. We've decided to have more of it for Christmas dinner, cooked like beef burgundy. Red wine makes everything better!
(12-02-2010, 03:09 PM)Satori Wrote: My husband cooked some and it was quite nice. We've decided to have more of it for Christmas dinner, cooked like beef burgundy. Red wine makes everything better!

Except for ice cream, but especially for icecream.
(12-04-2010, 09:44 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:
(12-02-2010, 03:09 PM)Satori Wrote: My husband cooked some and it was quite nice. We've decided to have more of it for Christmas dinner, cooked like beef burgundy. Red wine makes everything better!

Except for ice cream, but especially for icecream.

Maybe you just need to try this...

http://www.langetwins.com/blog/2010/05/2...eam-glaze/
mmmm i hae to try that!!

Sounds delicious!  I'm certain you'll have some of your bread?