Hope?
(11-29-2010, 09:56 PM)A Catholic Thinker Wrote: Absolutely preposterous.
That you are.
(11-29-2010, 08:56 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
(11-29-2010, 07:34 PM)paragon Wrote: They're trying to suck in traditionalists and conservative NO types who are aware of the abuses going on in the church, by giving them a carrot on a stick.  Don't be deceived - it might look like the Mass, sound like the Mass, and even smell like the Mass, but it isn't.

But it is, otherwise, the Church is wrong and everything unravels.

The issue is if it is sacrilegious or not.

The judgement must stand on facts, not on prejudice.

Actually the question of whether it is sacrilegious is not the issue. The NO is valid but it is also insufficient. In other words it lacks all that the Tridentine has. Its New Coke to make it simple to understand.

The NO by design was suppose to be full of "options" hence to that extent it can be made sacrilegious.
(11-29-2010, 10:08 PM)Unum Sint Wrote: Actually the question of whether it is sacrilegious is not the issue. The NO is valid but it is also insufficient. In other words it lacks all that the Tridentine has. Its New Coke to make it simple to understand.

It is the question when it concerns the Sunday Obligation. The obligation does not require us to attend an ideal Mass.

The more the Novus Ordo imitates the TLM, the more stability it will pick up as an expression of the faith.  I know a priest who offers both and said, "That's about as good as you're going to get with the Novus Ordo"  He knows it's not up to snuff with the TLM.  But it can only be a stop gap, if the people are responding.  The Novus Ordo in the early 1970's in some places was still very reverent with a lot of priests who were trained in the TLM, they carried a lot of tradition over to it and I recognized those elements when I started to go to the TLM for the first times.

As Bishop Williamson has said, the same steps that take you down, can also bring you back up.   
(11-29-2010, 10:12 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
(11-29-2010, 10:08 PM)Unum Sint Wrote: Actually the question of whether it is sacrilegious is not the issue. The NO is valid but it is also insufficient. In other words it lacks all that the Tridentine has. Its New Coke to make it simple to understand.

It is the question when it concerns the Sunday Obligation. The obligation does not require us to attend an ideal Mass.

It's nice to have an ally or two.  And to see somebody with an informed, sane, and logically consistent Catholic position.
(11-29-2010, 10:19 PM)Gerard Wrote: The more the Novus Ordo imitates the TLM, the more stability it will pick up as an expression of the faith.  I know a priest who offers both and said, "That's about as good as you're going to get with the Novus Ordo"  He knows it's not up to snuff with the TLM.  But it can only be a stop gap, if the people are responding.  The Novus Ordo in the early 1970's in some places was still very reverent with a lot of priests who were trained in the TLM, they carried a lot of tradition over to it and I recognized those elements when I started to go to the TLM for the first times.

As Bishop Williamson has said, the same steps that take you down, can also bring you back up.   
True.
(11-29-2010, 10:19 PM)Gerard Wrote: The more the Novus Ordo imitates the TLM, the more stability it will pick up as an expression of the faith.  I know a priest who offers both and said, "That's about as good as you're going to get with the Novus Ordo"  He knows it's not up to snuff with the TLM.  But it can only be a stop gap, if the people are responding.  The Novus Ordo in the early 1970's in some places was still very reverent with a lot of priests who were trained in the TLM, they carried a lot of tradition over to it and I recognized those elements when I started to go to the TLM for the first times.

It's been awhile since you posted something I agree with.  I agree with this.
(11-29-2010, 10:02 PM)Virgil the Roman Wrote:
That you are.
I believe the phrase actually goes something like: "Right you are"

I'm with the Thinker on this one.

I'm convinced.  ;D
(11-29-2010, 10:59 PM)Cassius_Longinus Wrote: I believe the phrase actually goes something like: "Right you are"

I'm with the Thinker on this one.
Nay.  Not, at all. :fish: