The translation of "pro multis" as "for many" vs. "for all"
(12-29-2010, 04:46 PM)Justin Wrote: I think, though I am not certain, that I read somewhere that " to do what the Church does" is a  standard that is set pretty low. I was under the impression that the Sacrifice and Sacrament  were the same? I am confused.  ???

When asking where the Sacrifice takes place in the Mass, it is the theological consensus it takes place as part of and/or during the Consecration.  However, the Sacrament is not the Sacrifice.  For example, one can receive the Sacrament of Communion outside of Mass - there is no Sacrifice there.  The Sacrifice is the oblation made by the Body and Blood.

Consecrating outside of the Sacrifice of the Mass, or consecrating only the body and not the blood (or vice versa) is possible and is a violation that is very grave.

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congre...um_en.html

Quote:1. Graviora delicta

[172.] Graviora delicta against the sanctity of the Most August Sacrifice and Sacrament of the Eucharist are to be handled in accordance with the ‘Norms concerning graviora delicta reserved to the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith’,[280] namely:

b) the attempted celebration of the liturgical action of the Eucharistic Sacrifice or the simulation of the same;[282]

d) the consecration for sacrilegious ends of one matter without the other in the celebration of the Eucharist or even of both outside the celebration of the Eucharist.[284]

This situation historically arises when a consecration is made for Necromancy or within a Black Mass.

Messages In This Thread
Re: The translation of "pro multis" as "for many" vs. "for all" - by Historian - 12-29-2010, 04:59 PM