The translation of "pro multis" as "for many" vs. "for all"
"[i Wrote:Questioning the Validity[/i], by Patrick Omlor (available at http://www.the-pope.com/qtv.html)"]
The Three Elements

92.  St. Thomas Aquinas teaches, "We can consider three things in this sacrament: namely, that which is sacrament only, and this is the bread and wine; that which is both reality and sacrament, to wit, Christ's true body; and lastly that which is reality only, namely, the effect of this sacrament."  (Summa Th., III, Q. 73, Art. 6).

93.  Now, what is "the effect of this sacrament," the reality of the Holy Eucharist?  "Now . . . the reality of the sacrament is the unity of the mystical body, without which there can be no salvation."  (Summa Th., III, Q. 73, Art. 3).

94.  The key idea in what is to follow is the unique relationship between the Sacrament of the Holy Eucharist and the Mystical Body.

Changing "for many" to "for all" does in fact change the substance of the form. "Sacraments of the New Law, being sensible signs which cause invisible grace, must both signify the grace which they cause and cause the grace which they signify" [Apostolicae Curae].  I repeat what St. Thomas teaches above, "the reality of the [Holy Eucharist] is the unity of the mystical body", not just the making present of Christ's body and blood. Now, the phrase "for all" is a reference to the sufficiency of Christ's sacrifice, which everyone here understands. But here is the key idea: changing the reference from the sacrifice's efficacy to its sufficiency REMOVES that which makes the words of consecration signify the grace which they cause. It removes the reference to the Mystical Body of Christ. Therefore, it invalidates the sacrament.

If the reality of the sacrament is the unity of the mystical body, then "This is my Body. This is my Blood." isn't enough to signify that reality. It makes reference to the Head of the Mystical Body, but it makes no reference to the members of the Mystical Body, which is "you and many", or simply "you" as is the case in some other legitimate liturgies.

Messages In This Thread
Re: The translation of "pro multis" as "for many" vs. "for all" - by charlesh - 12-30-2010, 03:56 AM