Pope is going to Monaco but why?
(12-03-2010, 12:59 AM)Lagrange Wrote: We could reframe the question: what's the motivation of the Pope for visiting anywhere? To help bare witness to the Faith and invigorate the local populace in their Catholicism.

"Bare" witness?  Another reference to the beach?
Maybe he just wants a break from the Vatican rumor mills.
...or take a tour in his Alfa-Romeo due mille spider circa 1969, stopping for a plate of trofia in cinque terra for lunch and then on to Monaco, and a night of baccarat, with John LeCarre.
tim
(12-03-2010, 08:40 AM)timoose Wrote: ...or take a tour in his Alfa-Romeo due mille spider circa 1969, stopping for a plate of trofia in cinque terra for lunch and then on to Monaco, and a night of baccarat, with John LeCarre.
tim

Sounds like you've "been there and done that" Tim. :)
Maybe the title of the Pope's visit should be: There and Vatican: A Pope's Tale.
Unlike John Paul II hiking or camping and such, I see Pope Benedict XVI as a continental guy with verve. In my mind he smoked the black Gauloises made from Syrian tobacco, until it was unfashionable.
tim
To counter all the sarcastic remarks and unkind words directed at our Holy Father, the Vicar of Christ on earth...

maybe he was invited.  And there are Catholics there and those who need to see him. And the trip is a short one, not one of the big productions as was just done in the UK this fall.  It would not be too tiring as there are bigger journeys coming up.
Per the article cited, he was invited, and it will be the first papal visit there in 479 years (the last was by Pope Clement VII in 1532), so it’s about their turn for a visit.

Monaco is a Catholic confessional state (probable one of the few remaining) where over 90% of the population is baptized.  Despite this, in 2009 Monaco legalized abortion in certain cases http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/archive/ldn/2009/apr/09040810, so a papal visit to support the Church in Her mission there seems warranted.
(12-03-2010, 07:23 PM)Magdalene Wrote: To counter all the sarcastic remarks and unkind words directed at our Holy Father, the Vicar of Christ on earth...

maybe he was invited.  And there are Catholics there and those who need to see him. And the trip is a short one, not one of the big productions as was just done in the UK this fall.  It would not be too tiring as there are bigger journeys coming up.

Just for the record I hope it was clear *I* meant no disrespect whatsoever to the holy father with my light-hearted comments.
(12-03-2010, 08:17 PM)A Catholic Thinker Wrote:
(12-03-2010, 07:23 PM)Magdalene Wrote: To counter all the sarcastic remarks and unkind words directed at our Holy Father, the Vicar of Christ on earth...

Just for the record I hope it was clear *I* meant no disrespect whatsoever to the holy father with my light-hearted comments.

I don't think any of us did and that's obvious. The pope has been hammered a lot more in some other threads around here.

C.