Do TLMs tend to be more available in well-to-do areas?
My experiences have almost always been with TLMs celebrated to outside rhythms of rap and sub-woofers.  You can guess what kind of neighborhoods I'm talking about.
I'll have one rib.
(12-05-2010, 02:08 AM)Scipio_a Wrote: I have never seen a TLM... FSSP or SSPX in a wealthy area.  I'd be intersted to see your idea of "wealthy" also...my experience in the NE with TLMs is the same as my experience with them in the SW....usually poorer area....sometimes middle class.

Ridgefield, CT, where an early SSPX chapel was established, is a pretty decent area.  It's not Greenwich, CT or one of the other Connecticut Gold Coast towns, though, but the people are much more well-off than they are in my town.
That's the retreat house...

Looks good from the air...kinda like my dad's area in lincroft, nj...space and big houses.

Glad the have the retreat house in a place like that rather than the pits the place everything else.
The SSPX chapel near Chicago is in the suburb of fading grandeur here, Oak Park. It's completely schizophrenic, to call it mixed is an understatement. The ICK have the Shrine of Christ the King and it is 6400 s. Woodlawn, not that pretty.  And what Quis alluded to is that the neighborhood where St. John Cantius used to be was a mob neighborhood. If you stand in front of the Church facing west and if you look to your left to Milwaukee Ave. there is what appears to be an old VFW hall which used to be a Mafia social club. Just like in the Sopranos. I think there is a TLM  on 83rd Street, but I ain't sure.
tim
(12-04-2010, 11:42 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:  Most TLMs are in middle-class to poor areas, and most people who go to TLMs are not wealthy; heck many are not even middle class.

This echoes my experience.
(12-05-2010, 03:10 AM)Joshua Wrote: My experiences have almost always been with TLMs celebrated to outside rhythms of rap and sub-woofers.  You can guess what kind of neighborhoods I'm talking about.
Thank God it's not Country and Western.

Leave that stuff for the strip mall, storefronts and mega-churches.
To my knowledge, there are three churches in my area (Madison, WI) that offer TLMs: (1) Holy Redeemer in downtown Madison -- not a particularly rich or poor area, but I think the normal clientele of that church is mostly Hispanic people and lower/middle-class; the rich people go to St Patrick's, also downtown, but no TLM there; (2) St. Aloysius in Sauk City, about 25 miles from Madison -- I've never been to this one, so I don't know what kind of neighborhood it's in, but Sauk City is a fairly small town; (3) St. Norbert's in Roxbury -- this is a very small town, not big enough to have neighborhoods -- and they have the TLM every day, not just Sunday! It's near Sauk City, and both of these churches probably get many of their parishioners from the surrounding rural areas.
The SSPX chapel in Lisbon is rather small, old and situated in a poor suburb.
Diocesan TLMs seem to be in old urban churches where the architecture is traditional and the parish could use a financial boost from the contributions of the TLM attendees.  SSPX chapels seem to be located in areas where upper-middle-class people feel safe.