The sadness of hindsight 45 years ago
http://whispersintheloggia.blogspot.com/...f-day.html

My dear Supreme Pontiff I wish you had known, and may be you knew but did not want to believe it, but they did exactly what you warned them not to.

The council is a failure may be the greatest in the Church's history and that is saying something.

Quote:She has confidence that you will find such strength and such joy that you will not be tempted, as were some of your elders, to yield to the seductions of egoistic or hedonistic philosophies or to those of despair and annihilation, and that in the face of atheism, a phenomenon of lassitude and old age, you will know how to affirm your faith in life and in what gives meaning to life, that is to say, the certitude of the existence of a just and good God.

Boy, talk about misplaced confidence...
To me it sounds like "see you all later you're on your own now, I'm going to Tahiti, have a nice life, and don't forget mortal sin."
tim
Quote:For it is you who are to receive the torch from the hands of your elders and to live in the world at the period of the most gigantic transformations ever realized in its history.
Uh. I'm confused. Does anyone know if this "period" includes the Incarnation or is it just talking about the time after the Council? If this means the Council then the arrogance shown right there should have tipped somebody off that there would be a "gigantic" implosion. Transformation, indeed.
The young people of the time were the Baby Boomers whom I blame for most of society's messes today.
The fact that he referred to reforming the Church's "image" says a lot to me.
Ockham, that's not accurate. The "changers" were the "greatest generation" my father's generation from WWII. In 1962 the oldest boomer was sixteen years old, not old enough to say boo ! Moreover not all boomers were actively involved in changing society. You might want to consider the influence of the TV, which effected the later boomers but not their older siblings. In short blaming the boomers for all of the problems in society is like saying all Trad Catholics accept Pope Micahael. There were no boy Cardinals at the Council.
tim
(12-09-2010, 07:59 AM)timoose Wrote: To me it sounds like "see you all later you're on your own now, I'm going to Tahiti, have a nice life, and don't forget mortal sin."
tim

:laughing:
No offence intended directly at you, Tim, but the Boomers have indeed created a mess of things.  Modernists may have infiltrated the Church, but it was the Boomers during the past three decades that took full advantage of the Councils's ambiguity that damaged our structure.  For example, the "Greatest Generation" were savers, the Boomers are spenders.  As a result, most Western nations are drowning in debt both national and personal.
The Church long before the Council had been inflitrated by Masons, Communists and Homosexual Activists which many books warned about at the time. Well it's 45 years later and the facts speak for themselves Vatican 2 (A PASTORAL ,NOT DOGMATIC COUNCIL) was a failure and an embarrasement. If WW2 was the Holocaust of the BODY , VATICAN 2 was the Holocaust of the SOUL!!