UK Bishops Going Traditional After Pope's Visit
"Bishops seek to ‘revitalise’ Lent as season of penitence
By Anna Arco on Friday, 3 December 2010

The general secretary of the Bishops’ Conference of England and Wales has been tasked with finding ways to revitalise Lent as the penitential season.

In the wake of Pope Benedict’s September visit to Britain the bishops discussed restoring Friday penance during their November plenary meeting. They decided that it was important to re-emphasise Lent as a season of penitence first, in order to later look into ways of restoring the custom of Friday fasts, a source said. The move comes in a bid to restore public manifestations of Catholicism following the Pope’s visit which was widely hailed as a success.

In the Advent letter to his flock, Bishop Kieran Conry of Arundel and Brighton spoke about restoring the Friday Fast.

He said: “This was one of the most obvious signs of Catholic identity, apart from going to Mass. It determined the diet in places like prison and hospital, and was something that Catholics were instinctively conscious of: we knew that we couldn’t have meat like everybody else that day, and it was a source of a sort of pride – it marked us out as different.

[...]

Since Benedict XVI’s visit to Britain a number of bishops have called for more public gestures of Catholicity. Archbishop Vincent Nichols of Westminster asked for Catholics to make more visible signs of their faith in his September pastoral letter, urging the faithful to make the Sign of the Cross, say grace at meals and say “Bless you” when people sneeze."

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/news/201...penitence/

---------------------------------------------

Of course many here will surely agree the most obvious sign of Catholic faith is the Mass Of All Ages.  While I don't predict the UK bishops will go there any day soon, small steps in the right direction will ultimately lead to this destination.
Maybe the UK bishops are not as bad as they seem, and are just more stupid than one would guess. I say this because they almost seem surprised by how well their folk have responded to the Pope. And it almost makes me wonder (and hope?) if all the while when they were making stupid decision after stupid (and evil) decision, they sincerely believed, stupidly, that a "modernisation" of the Church would bring droves and droves of people into it, who would then be cheerfully and gradually led deeper into the faith. I mean, that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard, and I cannot believe that those men lived through the 60s and 70s, Beatles and all, and were too dumb to see the folly of such an idea. So I have always assumed that these are radicals, with an terribly evil agenda to simply change the Church, because deep down they do not believe. But maybe they were just dumb after all. . .
Bold moves, there.
Return to FISH on FRIDAY year round, that was very symbolic to non-Catholics, NO MEAT ON FRIDAY!!!
So, how would you explain to these people the tradition of not eating meat on Fridays?
(12-09-2010, 09:40 AM)Ockham Wrote: "Bishops seek to ‘revitalise’ Lent as season of penitence
By Anna Arco on Friday, 3 December 2010

The general secretary of the Bishops’ Conference of England and Wales has been tasked with finding ways to revitalise Lent as the penitential season.

In the wake of Pope Benedict’s September visit to Britain the bishops discussed restoring Friday penance during their November plenary meeting. They decided that it was important to re-emphasise Lent as a season of penitence first, in order to later look into ways of restoring the custom of Friday fasts, a source said. The move comes in a bid to restore public manifestations of Catholicism following the Pope’s visit which was widely hailed as a success.

In the Advent letter to his flock, Bishop Kieran Conry of Arundel and Brighton spoke about restoring the Friday Fast.

He said: “This was one of the most obvious signs of Catholic identity, apart from going to Mass. It determined the diet in places like prison and hospital, and was something that Catholics were instinctively conscious of: we knew that we couldn’t have meat like everybody else that day, and it was a source of a sort of pride – it marked us out as different.

[...]

Since Benedict XVI’s visit to Britain a number of bishops have called for more public gestures of Catholicity. Archbishop Vincent Nichols of Westminster asked for Catholics to make more visible signs of their faith in his September pastoral letter, urging the faithful to make the Sign of the Cross, say grace at meals and say “Bless you” when people sneeze."

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/news/201...penitence/

---------------------------------------------

Of course many here will surely agree the most obvious sign of Catholic faith is the Mass Of All Ages.  While I don't predict the UK bishops will go there any day soon, small steps in the right direction will ultimately lead to this destination.

WOOT WOOT !!!
WOW!  Fasting on Fridays during Lent!  These guys are hard core!  Think about how mortified they will be by Saturday!    :pazzo:
LOL
dk translation:

lol
(12-09-2010, 11:31 PM)icecream Wrote: dk translation:

lol
:laughing: :rofl: :laughing: