UK Bishops Going Traditional After Pope's Visit
(12-09-2010, 11:04 PM)NorthernTrad Wrote: WOW!  Fasting on Fridays during Lent!  These guys are hard core!  Think about how mortified they will be by Saturday!     :pazzo:
:laughing: That was my reaction too. It probably will cause a stir though. I remember when the canteen at my Catholic high school stopped serving meat on Ash Wednesday and the students were furious. Sad.
(12-09-2010, 08:12 PM)dymphna17 Wrote: So, how would you explain to these people the tradition of not eating meat on Fridays?
Christ gave up his flesh on Friday, so we give up flesh meat on Friday for penance.
I really don't see Friday abstinence as much of a penance in England.. Fish-n-chips is pretty much the national dish, so it's hardly a sacrifice to forsake kidney pie for fish, I've had fish-n-chips from some hole-in-the-wall chip shop in England, and it was terrific. Now, if they had to eat something akin to the US school-lunch fish sticks, that would be penitential. If they really wanted to be hardcore, they'd eat tofu.
What do traditional Catholic vegetarians eat on Friday?
(12-09-2010, 09:40 AM)Ockham Wrote: In the Advent letter to his flock, Bishop Kieran Conry of Arundel and Brighton spoke about restoring the Friday Fast.

He said: “This was one of the most obvious signs of Catholic identity, apart from going to Mass. It determined the diet in places like prison and hospital, and was something that Catholics were instinctively conscious of: we knew that we couldn’t have meat like everybody else that day, and it was a source of a sort of pride – it marked us out as different.

My Mum was raised as a rather Low Church member of the Church of England and we NEVER ate meat on Friday. In fact the old CofE practice was to abstain from meat on Fridays. It was IIRC dropped at the Deformation, but rapidly restored in order to protect the English fisheries industry, from whence the sailors of the Royal Navy were drawn.