Christmas Goodies
(12-20-2010, 05:04 PM)verenaerin Wrote:On the 26th we are making gingerbread houses. We did them as kids. When we became teenagers we imported local young homeschoolers to make them with us, to make it more fun. My mom is making the gingerbread today. I got some candy today and will get some more tomorrow. The kids are really excited.

It ought to be a very interesting project with a 2 and 3 year old.

yay!

this is good link fpor gungerbread house:

http://www.gingerbread-house-heaven.com/...ction.html
(12-20-2010, 05:08 PM)verenaerin Wrote:My mom is doing all the desserts. I am making the perogies.

For our birthday cake , she is making a lemon pound cake served with coconut pudding and whipped cream.

I am going to try and make some cheese tonight to incorporate with my perogie filling.

I love making cookies and baking. Unfortunately my stomach and lack of energy are winning out. I also have been without a washer and dryer for 2 weeks. Tomorrow they finally arrive. The laundry is to the ceiling.

Satori, try and post pics if you can. BTW, we will be in VA in February.

Come see me! But I won't let you in unless you bring homemade pierogies.

I wouldn't dare try a real gingerbread house with my young 'un this year, but then, you are a veteran, so you probably have some tricks up your sleeve.
I made an orange-almond streusel coffee cake for a Christmas party. Still not sure what we're doing for the big day.
(12-20-2010, 08:16 PM)verenaerin Wrote:
(12-20-2010, 06:37 PM)Satori Wrote:
(12-20-2010, 05:08 PM)verenaerin Wrote:My mom is doing all the desserts. I am making the perogies.

For our birthday cake , she is making a lemon pound cake served with coconut pudding and whipped cream.

I am going to try and make some cheese tonight to incorporate with my perogie filling.

I love making cookies and baking. Unfortunately my stomach and lack of energy are winning out. I also have been without a washer and dryer for 2 weeks. Tomorrow they finally arrive. The laundry is to the ceiling.

I wouldn't dare try a real gingerbread house with my young 'un this year, but then, you are a veteran, so you probably have some tricks up your sleeve.

OK, you're on. But you have to cut all the onions to saute them in!

Fair enough, but you'll have to stand by with a roll of paper towels to wipe me off. I'm very sensitive to onions and my eyes and nose will run like a fire hydrant.
I sent my husband off to work with six batches of the Scotch shortbread today. I want to make a few more batches for my friends today.

When the girls get home from school, we'll make some fudge, but I don't think it'll last until Christmas unless I lock it in the liquor cabinet. They love fudge!
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
(12-20-2010, 08:38 PM)Satori Wrote:

Fair enough, but you'll have to stand by with a roll of paper towels to wipe me off. I'm very sensitive to onions and my eyes and nose will run like a fire hydrant.

Someone here needs a food processor for Christmas.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

(12-21-2010, 11:03 AM)Jacafamala Wrote:
(12-20-2010, 08:38 PM)Satori Wrote:

Someone here needs a food processor for Christmas.

I've got one, but I only use it for a few specific things. It's such a pain in the ass to assemble and clean.
Easier than all that chopping, chopping, chopping. And for creamy soups, it's downright indispensable.  :)

Do I sound like a food processor sales lady?  :P

Actually, it'd be nice to have one of these for soups. Perhaps next Christmas, but I digress.
[Image: 086279013118lg.jpg]

I like chopping. I hate gadgets and never use them unless I absolutely must, like a hand mixer for whipping cream. I tried whipping cream by hand -- I remember my powerful little grandmother doing it -- but between weak arms and carpal tunnel, I just can't.
(12-18-2010, 10:27 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: Spritz cookie dough needs to be impossibly cold to handle correctly. Work in small batches.

America's Test Kitchens to the rescue.