Vocation to the Single life
The consecrated single life is one thing.  But personally (based on firsthand experience, I'm sorry to say), I think being "called to the single life" is something people claim when they're holding on to something they would have to give up in order to embrace a true vocation.  Or else they are all muddled, and claim they simply cannot figure out what God wants for them. 

Speaking for myself, when I finally did manage to cut loose, my vocation couldn't have been clearer. 
what about people who really want to be religious but there's a situation that prevents them from entering an order, for example if they have a family obligation... but they don't feel called to marriage.. .isn't the single vocation their only other option?
(09-18-2011, 08:02 PM)little_flower10 Wrote: what about people who really want to be religious but there's a situation that prevents them from entering an order, for example if they have a family obligation... but they don't feel called to marriage.. .isn't the single vocation their only other option?

Maybe temporarily.  The single life vocation certainly exists, but it would seem few are really called to it.
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
what about St Rose of Lima, or Ven. Pauline Jericot, or Gabrielle Bossis (I think) and others?  ???
The need for this became evident when looking at the frequency with which visitors came to the site looking for information on the single life, the purpose of the single vocation, sexuality and the single life, and related topics. A vocation is God’s unique invitation which is addressed to every Christian.  It is a call to follow Jesus, to bring love to the world and to grow in holiness.  Once the invitation is given God expects a free response.  The invitation leads people to one of four general paths in life:  the single life,  sacramental marriage, the consecrated life, or ordination to the priesthood or deaconate. Christians live out the call to holiness and loving service by means of one of these vocations. 

Single life is good, especially in these times.