Christmas Dinner?
(12-26-2010, 07:52 AM)Satori Wrote: No sides, icecream. I was doing everything by myself. I did make French bread, gingerbread men, cheese crisps and penuche for snacks -- oh, and a buche du noel for dessert. I made the cake and the whipped cream filling, but I made my husband roll it because I was too nervous about that part. Now I'm trying to decide what kind of meal to make for Epiphany. Epiphany is really my big day of the season more than Christmas Day.

Did you decorate the buche?  I ended up having to pour chocolate sauce all over it to keep everybody happy; I was miffed, because this obscured my perfect spiral.  >:(
No, because I was too exhausted by the time I was done with everything else. But I'm thinking of making another one for New Year's to get some more practice in. I think I have found our traditional Christmas dessert! Such a nice change from pumpkin (bleh) pie and fruitcake.

Would you mind sharing your buche du noel recipe, Frere?
(12-27-2010, 10:05 AM)Satori Wrote: No, because I was too exhausted by the time I was done with everything else. But I'm thinking of making another one for New Year's to get some more practice in. I think I have found our traditional Christmas dessert! Such a nice change from pumpkin (bleh) pie and fruitcake.

Would you mind sharing your buche du noel recipe, Frere?

We make it differently every time; as I said, my mother once even made a seafood one filled with creamy lobster/shrimp/crab/scollops wrapped in this weird savory sponge thing she made on a cookie sheet.  That was bizarre, but all of the old people liked it.  I felt cheated and made such a fuss that it never appeared again. 

This year I just made a really darkly chocolate cake, waited for it to cool, sliced it, brushed it with a dark chocolate ganache, waited for it to cool, then spread softened tofutti, and rolled that bad boy up and put it in the freezer.  mmmmmMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmm
Do you spread the batter on a cookie sheet or put it in a big rectangular baking pan or what?
(12-27-2010, 10:32 AM)Satori Wrote: Do you spread the batter on a cookie sheet or put it in a big rectangular baking pan or what?

My mom has a jelly roll pan that she uses; that's easy if you use parchment.  Lately I have not even bothered with that, and just cut a normal loaf cake into slices and roll it.  I only need a small one because there aren't that many of us left.
(12-27-2010, 11:31 AM)frerejacques Wrote: that's easy if you use parchment

See Satori, all the cool kids use parchment.
(12-27-2010, 04:36 AM)dark lancer Wrote: We had ham this year.

It used to be tortiere and ham when my family went to cousins of my father when many of his relatives still lived around here.  I really miss a good tortiere at Christmas.

Yum.  I really like tortiere.  Maybe I should have married a French Canadian.  But then I like fish a lot too so my Lithuanian is good.  ;D
(12-27-2010, 11:31 AM)frerejacques Wrote:
(12-27-2010, 10:32 AM)Satori Wrote: Do you spread the batter on a cookie sheet or put it in a big rectangular baking pan or what?

My mom has a jelly roll pan that she uses; that's easy if you use parchment.  Lately I have not even bothered with that, and just cut a normal loaf cake into slices and roll it.  I only need a small one because there aren't that many of us left.

WHAT? You what, cut a loaf cake lengthwise and roll it -- and it rolls? That works? Huh. I don't even know what a jelly roll pan is, and I don't own any parchment. I always use foil when the recipe calls for parchment, which probably doesn't work as well. I have a resistance to buying a throw-away product that I will only use occasionally, but I guess I'd better change my ways.
(12-27-2010, 01:14 PM)Satori Wrote: I don't even know what a jelly roll pan is,
[Image: 548344e.jpg]
(12-27-2010, 01:14 PM)Satori Wrote:
(12-27-2010, 11:31 AM)frerejacques Wrote:

WHAT? You what, cut a loaf cake lengthwise and roll it -- and it rolls? That works? Huh. I don't even know what a jelly roll pan is, and I don't own any parchment. I always use foil when the recipe calls for parchment, which probably doesn't work as well. I have a resistance to buying a throw-away product that I will only use occasionally, but I guess I'd better change my ways.

I know what you mean; I was a late convert to parchment myself however now I love it.  If you're making cookies you can use the same sheet a couple of times before it becomes useless, and then it has a lovely patina, and crackles in your hand.  If there are no grease marks, I give it to my little one for drawing pirate treasure maps.