Chartreuse liqueur
I borrowed the 2-DVD special edition of Into Great Silence from the Quebec National Library over the holidays and watched everything (well, except for the gallery of sound clips).

The second disc has a 20-minute mini-documentary about the making of the Chartreuse liqueur - they distill a mix of 130 herbs listed in a secret 17th century manuscript. I figured I would support the monastery and pick up a bottle at my local liquor commission outlet.

The back of the bottle suggests adding a shot of Chartreuse green into a mug of hot chocolate and mmm mmm is that ever delicious! $27 a bottle. 55% alocohol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chartreuse_(liqueur)

[Image: chartreuse.jpg]
Hmm.  I've tipped a fair amount of tipple, but I've never tipped Chartreuse.  Maybe it's time?

I admit the color scares me.
(12-29-2010, 12:09 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: I admit the color scares me.

I hear ya. It just makes me think of mint, though - so that helps. I would eat mint leaves from the family garden when I was a kid... and my fave ice cream is mint chocolate chip.
speaking of liqueres you shouild try that st. germain stuff sometime. it amazing
(12-29-2010, 12:19 PM)icecream Wrote: speaking of liqueres you shouild try that st. germain stuff sometime. it amazing

Saint-Germain liqueur doesn't seem to be available thru the Quebec liquor commission... you'll have to tell me where to buy a bottle in NYC. My 6 yr old has gone to NYC with me twice and calls it his "favourite city" so we'll surely return again...
(12-29-2010, 12:27 PM)Bakuryokuso Wrote:
(12-29-2010, 12:19 PM)icecream Wrote: speaking of liqueres you shouild try that st. germain stuff sometime. it amazing

Saint-Germain liqueur doesn't seem to be available thru the Quebec liquor commission... you'll have to tell me where to buy a bottle in NYC. My 6 yr old has gone to NYC with me twice and calls it his "favourite city" so we'll surely return again...
you can buy it just about any liqour store. i buy it at astor wines usually, but can get it anywhere practrically: http://www.astorwines.com/

it's $30 a 750 ml bottle. so save up your pennies!

never been quesbec but what i see from video and pics i think it got nyc beat in beaurty department, so yur son has bad taste  ;D ;D ;D
(12-29-2010, 12:40 PM)icecream Wrote: you can buy it just about any liqour store. i buy it at astor wines usually, but can get it anywhere practrically: http://www.astorwines.com/

it's $30 a 750 ml bottle. so save up your pennies!

never been quesbec but what i see from video and pics i think it got nyc beat in beaurty department, so yur son has bad taste  ;D ;D ;D

I think we have ya beat in beauty dept too, sorry mate!

Bear in mind my son is only six and is currently more interested in things like Toys R Us Times Square...!  Smile
Mmmm chartreuse, delicious
$27 is a steal. Around where I live it is $40+.

I have a special porcelain bottle of it that I found covered in dust in the back of a shelf at a local liquor store. Still haven't opened it, though. Not sure what I'm waiting for.