favorite liquor? mixed drinks? wine?
I recently have been getting into making Martinis and got me some glasses for it.  Just need to get a decent shaker and strainer. 

I always use Bombay Sapphire Gin as the base since it is the best, and then vary it from there either using sweet or dry vermouth.  I hate olives, so that does not go in.  I will substitute with lemon or cherry.

Any good Martini recipes from the Fishies here?
Bombay is my favorite gin.  I don't drink a lot of mixed drinks, mostly beer, but I like gin&tonic a lot.  There was one year in college where a certain group of my friends would drink nothing but rum and coke...but they would only ever use Mount Gay Rum.

Chamborde is tasty, but I mostly just get that for the wife.  In a way it's too bad that our tastes are more on the expensive side (at least compared with most of the people we know).  Can never be satisfied with the cheap junk put out by the likes of budweiser etc.  I just tried Dogfish Head's World Wide Stout recently...Now that could be an expensive habit, though I prefer several of their other brews more.
As much as I love Bombay Sapphire, I don't think they're the best for martinis.  I like one a little less encumbered with the botanicals like Tanquerray.  But it's probably just a matter of taste.

A well made martini is more of a matter of details in your technique than anything big-picture.

To make a martini "up" (the one in a martini glass), start by chilling the glass.  Fill it with ice and water to the brim. 
In a shaker can (or a tall tumbler glass if you don't have a shaker), put in a scoop of ice and a couple ounces of gin.  Give it a few swirls with your wrist and set it aside.
Empty out the martini glass and give it a couple shakes to splash out the water.  You don't have to be scrupulous about getting out every drop.  Splash in an ounce or so of dry vermouth and swirl the vermouth around the glass until it coats all the sides of the glass.  Pour out the extra.  Don't worry about wasting vermouth.  Even dedicated martini drinkers only finish a bottle or two in a lifetime.
If you are going to use a twist of lemon, here's the time where you would rub the inside of a lemon rind along the rim. Strain the gin into the martini glass.  This is the point that people would add an olive or two if they don't opt for the lemon.  Please don't dump in olive juice.
Hold the glass mostly by the stem.  Drink with an air of understatement.

Please don't shake your martinis.  I would no more shake a martini than I would shake a baby. After all, they're both products of love, patience, tenderness and gin.
(01-19-2011, 10:12 AM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: Please don't dump in olive juice.

There is a time and place for everything.  Dirty Martinis are to be consumed only under the cover of night, preferably in red lit bars that time forgot.  I love dirty martinis.

(01-19-2011, 10:12 AM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: Please don't shake your martinis.  I would no more shake a martini than I would shake a baby. After all, they're both products of love, patience, tenderness and gin.

Wah wah?  Are you crazy?  Of course you shake them.  Martinis too *rimshot*

Are we going to get into an ex-bartender argument?  Martinis are to be shaken.  Ice crystals are desirable,  quasi-room-temperature, watered down gin is not.
(01-19-2011, 01:11 PM)Paloma Wrote: Martinis are to be shaken.  Ice crystals are desirable,  quasi-room-temperature, watered down gin is not.

Much wisdom in those few words.    :nonsum:
FYI guys. When the Indians exported Bombay Gin to the states in the beginning there was no Sapphire. It was "on sale" type Gin at your local Supermarket. Some of us more experienced drinkers drank it and said "that's pretty good, I'll keep that to myself." You see it was cheaper than Tanquerray, and about 1000x better than Gordon's. But as always the less experienced tasted, fell in love with it, and started blabbing their mouths when they  half in the bag, and Voila, it is no longer cheap. I rest my case. hehehe

tim
(01-18-2011, 01:58 PM)Tulkas Wrote: Any good Martini recipes from the Fishies here?

Well, yeah, but you don't like olives, so I guess it's a moot point...

;D
A nice gin & tonic . . .
(01-19-2011, 02:04 PM)timoose Wrote: FYI guys. When the Indians exported Bombay Gin to the states in the beginning there was no Sapphire. It was "on sale" type Gin at your local Supermarket. Some of us more experienced drinkers drank it and said "that's pretty good, I'll keep that to myself." You see it was cheaper than Tanquerray, and about 1000x better than Gordon's. But as always the less experienced tasted, fell in love with it, and started blabbing their mouths when they  half in the bag, and Voila, it is no longer cheap. I rest my case. hehehe

tim

like this

how would i know this without tim? i wouldnt

and i love bonbay sapphire but hate the price tag
(01-19-2011, 09:47 PM)Virgil the Roman Wrote: A nice gin & tonic . . .

me too! with bombay sapphire