Please pray for a mourning family
This morning, I responded to a call for an unresponsive man trapped in an elevator. Due to a blizzard and near whiteout conditions, it took approximately 15 minutes to arrive at this man's residence. The man was d.o.a. I didn't see the man at first, due to the paramedics placing a blanket over him and the rest of us standing out of the way. When the medical examiner arrived, it became obvious what had happened. The man died due to a traumatic injury and entrapment in an elevator in his home. I am not sure if the man or his family are practicing Catholics, but the likelihood is fairly high due to the area. The family and neighbors were obviously shocked, that their son/brother/uncle and friend had been taken from them.

This is the first face to face encounter that I have had with death in nearly 10 years. I would be lying if I said it didn't bother me. I guess it reminds me that we all have a day and an hour approaching and we will be called when we least expect it. Please pray for me as well.  This reminds me of the last verse of Ecclesiasticus 7; In all thy works remember thy last end, and thou shalt never sin.
:pray:
:pray2:

God bless you, Pax - the children & I always pray for police, EMT's, etc; when we hear sirens or see y'all responding to a call.
(12-31-2010, 05:01 AM)Donna Wrote: :pray:

God bless you, Pax - the children & I always pray for police, EMT's, etc; when we hear sirens or see y'all responding to a call.

We do also.

Pryaers again. :pray2:
Thank you, all.

I was a little disturbed when I left the scene with my Lieutenant. There is not much a person can do to really prepare them for walking around a corner and seeing a man crushed between the top of an elevator and the top of the door opening. It had been nearly eight years since I had been face to face with death and I realize now why I am a firefighter and first responder. We can't save everyone and we certainly can't prevent every accident or injury; but we can help our neighbors, in some way, through their pain and grief.

Thank you also, for allowing me to post a few things about this. I know these things can be quite bothersome to people who have never seen or done the things we do.

St. Florian, Ora pro nobis!
:pray2: