a catholic "megachurch" (or what happens you merge 6 parishes)
...and simultaneously the changes in America. Way back we had pride of place, or real love of Country. Then we had forces push us around and expand the areas in which we live. Careers meant six to twelve moves in a lifetime. The dilution of  localities population, and the satanic solution of suburban sprawl, then the one acre lots per house, getting to the point of ignorance not knowing who owned the house next to you, and Voila, the Mega Catholic Church. Ta Da ! :accolades:It is modeled on the Mall, get in your car and drive thirty five miles to your praise and worship meeting, and later coffee and donuts.  Ain't America great ! I heard Cardinal George ask Fr. Pacwa on EWTN "you don't want to return to the days of the immigrant Churches, do you." It's all planned here in Burbia.
tim
(01-02-2011, 01:53 AM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: Y'know, I get kinda sad at when I see these parishes, and then think about the family history here.

But then I realize that the prior generations (parents of the Boomers, the Boomers) failed to transmit the Faith, and they are eating their just desserts because of it.

Then I stop being sad for those people, and think of the lost art we have. 

Oh, cripes, not the boomers again. For crying out loud. Everyone's a critic. Yeesh. Wha? Is it boomer-tecture?
[Image: behind_the_design1.jpg]
Looks like a ski lodge to me.  :P

"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
(01-02-2011, 07:58 PM)Jacafamala Wrote:
(01-02-2011, 01:53 AM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: Y'know, I get kinda sad at when I see these parishes, and then think about the family history here.

But then I realize that the prior generations (parents of the Boomers, the Boomers) failed to transmit the Faith, and they are eating their just desserts because of it.

Then I stop being sad for those people, and think of the lost art we have. 

Oh, cripes, not the boomers again. For crying out loud. Everyone's a critic. Yeesh. Wha? Is it boomer-tecture?
[Image: behind_the_design1.jpg]
Looks like a ski lodge to me.  :P

Who else to blame for these problems?  Why are the churches not filled like they were before? 

This, I think, is an actual critique, and I did, to be fair, toss in the parents of the Boomers, as well.
It's NOT the boomers, good grief.

It's 'the greatest generation' that was asleep at the wheel - they were the ADULTS then.

Boomers were children. I was 9 in '65 when that hideous council closed.

I was 13 when the Novus Ordo was jammed down our necks in record time.

You can't hang this on the boomers, sorry. 
The Catholic Church in America was a victim of circumstance.

'nuff said.
(01-01-2011, 09:06 PM)Scythian Wrote: [Image: behind_the_design1.jpg]

I think it would look just fine so long as it had kneelers, a nice set of the stations of the cross, some pretty statues, and a nice wooden altar to complement the rest of the interior...sorta like this:
[Image: bilde?Site=SD&Date=20091129&Category=NEW...50&title=1]
As for mega-churches...why shouldn't the Church make use of them?  Metropolitan areas are very large...and suburbs (not the type some of y'all complain about...I'm talking about ones that are basically extensions of the cities themselves...like Plano, TX, which has nearly 300,000 people) need larger churches.  And although I don't particularly care for the appellation "community" as opposed to "parish"...I don't see anything wrong with including within the parish grounds such facilities as an auditorium or concert hall, classrooms, preschool, baseball and football fields, etc. etc. etc.  Our local mega-fellowship includes many of these...and...a library! ...a fine arts school! ...job programs, financial counseling, teen mom program, and many many other special programs.  Parents all around our area bring their children to the fellowship for preschool and pre-k, most of which are just 2-3 days per week...even parents who are not attendees--those who are seemingly agnostic--send their children there...and their children learn Bible stories, receive friendly instruction in kindness and manners and prayer.  In the fall they have a fall festival replete with a petting zoo, bouncy houses, candy, family friendly music, and entertainment (the country western dance team from the local high school does a couple shows).  There's a party in July, too, for Independence Day that includes water slides and water bouncy houses.  Why can't the local parishes do this stuff, too?  We should be able to enjoy a substantial amount of our time with our local parishioners doing wholesome things as neighbors and families.  Small chapels should be for small places...bigger places need bigger spaces.  I think mega-churches are a great idea.
(01-02-2011, 10:59 PM)cunctas_haereses Wrote: It's NOT the boomers, good grief.

It's 'the greatest generation' that was asleep at the wheel - they were the ADULTS then.

Boomers were children. I was 9 in '65 when that hideous council closed.

I was 13 when the Novus Ordo was jammed down our necks in record time.

You can't hang this on the boomers, sorry.   

Literacy, it's useful.

What I said:
Who else to blame for these problems?  Why are the churches not filled like they were before? 

This, I think, is an actual critique, and I did, to be fair, toss in the parents of the Boomers, as well.
(01-02-2011, 11:43 PM)Underdog Wrote: I think it would look just fine so long as it had kneelers, a nice set of the stations of the cross, some pretty statues, and a nice wooden altar to complement the rest of the interior...sorta like this:
[Image: bilde?Site=SD&Date=20091129&Category=NEW...50&title=1]

Just need to get rid of the woman reader and the table.

It was the only pic of a wooden altar that I could find quickly  ;D
(01-03-2011, 12:27 AM)Underdog Wrote: It was the only pic of a wooden altar that I could find quickly   ;D

It's good...it is a nice looking Church!