Prayer injuries
I don't know if this is in your means, but I've got a personal kneeler in the rectory, looks like this:
[Image: kneeler_314x397.jpg]
Probably not, plus it wouldn't fit in the room where I normally pray.

I prayed ten decades of the Rosary after Confession today using the padded kneeler at my parish and my knees were bothering me, so I'm not sure if that would help.

Maybe my knees are just bad?
Well I believe that's more of a medical issue than anything else.  Fisheaters might not be the best place to turn, rather if the issue persists consult your doctor or general practitioner.
(01-02-2011, 03:20 AM)dark lancer Wrote: Probably not, plus it wouldn't fit in the room where I normally pray.

I prayed ten decades of the Rosary after Confession today using the padded kneeler at my parish and my knees were bothering me, so I'm not sure if that would help.

Though kneeling during private prayer is a commendable practice, perhaps it would be in your best interests to sit or stand while praying the Rosary. That said, I would still encourage you to kneel in the presence of the most holy Sacrament during Mass and when exposed for adoration.
(01-02-2011, 03:46 AM)Resurrexi Wrote:
(01-02-2011, 03:20 AM)dark lancer Wrote: Probably not, plus it wouldn't fit in the room where I normally pray.

Though kneeling during private prayer is a commendable practice, perhaps it would be in your best interests to sit or stand while praying the Rosary. That said, I would still encourage you to kneel in the presence of the most holy Sacrament during Mass and when exposed for adoration.

Oh well I am pretty reluctant to not kneel at those times, it's just that I was hoping that I'd be able to do so for at least another 40 years.
I went to my chiropracter for a back problem and one of the first things he said was, "I see you have Catholic knees"!  I had never said anything about being a Catholic, so it must be a pretty common problem for us.
(01-02-2011, 01:17 AM)miss_fluffy Wrote: When I pray the rosary I alternate kneeling and standing.  Pressure serves as a powerful analgesic, so you don't feel any damage being done when you're kneeling.  I only pray 5 decades at a time, and the first time I did it, on cushy carpet even, I had trouble walking for a day or so afterwards.  I couldn't get up very easily immediately afterwards either.  I'm pretty heavy though, so that might have something to do with it.  In order to avoid damaging my knees, I now kneel for a decade, then stand for a decade etc.  Maybe if I lose some weight I can kneel longer but for now this will have to do.

I would have to say this is the best prescription. I would also say develop core muscles(abdomen, upper and lower). THis is very much easier said than done, but as a former(sigh) powerlifter and fatass, I can say over the last year, even though I am still pushing 3 bills and the age of 41, I have lost 4 inches in my waist and kneeling through Mass is now not a problem. I have done this through diet and different exercise patterns and routines.

To the OP: do not wait to go to a physician to get all the answers. I hold this profession in the highest esteem, but most doctors, even by their admittance, are not keen on nutritional supplementation for preventive care. Seek a holistic doctor and/or dietician. You would be amazed at how much a diet can change internal infirmaties. Check out condroiton and glucosamine. Works great. There are also numerous topicals such as Tiger Balm that help, too. Your mortification and dedication to God is impressive. Through a few Aves my way for my wife and kids, and count on mine.
I never pray kneeling except during mass when it is appropriate.

I pray standing. I am very light, but kneeling is not comfortable at all for me and I do not think it is natural to do for a long length of time.
I have never attempted a 15-decade rosary, but I still have this problem. I'm a bit overweight, and my knees (along with the rest of me) are 55 years old. When I want to kneel and pray at home, I throw a couple of pillows on the floor and kneel on those. That helps a lot for the knees, although I still get a sore back. I would love to have one of those personal kneelers that Father IND showed a few posts back -- maybe I'll get one at tax refund time.
Sounds like this is not a cartilage problem (glucosamine chondroitin supplements help this).  This sounds like busitis (infrapatellar superficial bursitis or clergyman's knee).  This is best treated with rest and anti-inflammatories (NSAIDS) like ibuprofen.  This may take a few weeks.  Sometimes injected steroids if case is bad and doesn't respond to the above.  See your doctor, but this is likely the deal.

deprofundis, MD