Had to throw my 19 year old out of the house on New Years eve.
Yea, what Quis said.  I had similar interactions with my parents at times.  I'm now very close to my Dad and he's often one of the first people I turn to for advice and counsel.  I think some people at that age, especially sensitive types, think that any fault they have is due to their parents, and so they are slow to take responsibility for their own problems.  All you can do is try to help him figure out that he is indeed responsible for himself, as painful a realization as it might be for him.  I'll pray that he catches on soon.
:pray2:
OK OK OK
:pray2:  It sounds like you did the right thing, Voxpop. The kid needs to learn some respect.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
But I love my boy and this hurts like hell, it was the hardest thing I ever had to do (so far) as a parent.
If I was 19 and living at home, and I did the same thing, I would expect my dad would have kicked me out as well - after kicking my ass for talking that way to my mom.

:pray:
(01-03-2011, 09:13 AM)voxpopulisuxx Wrote: But I love my boy and this hurts like hell, it was the hardest thing I ever had to do (so far) as a parent.

Of course you do.  :) I'm sure he'll come to his senses. It's just the age. He's being young and foolish.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
You've really been through the mill with that kid. 

St. Monica might be a worthy patroness.
Something as small as " mouthing off" Iolanthe?? Telling your mom to bugger off is not a small offense, especially coming from a 19 yr old.
19 is by far old enough to move out and take care of oneself. I was married and taking care of my husband and kids at 19. I mOved out at 15 and gOt a job, supported myself. The boy is hardly a baby. I think his dad totally did the right thing. It's not like he disowned him, just drew the line. It's his fathers house, don't like it? There's the door.
Simple enough, and WHEN his son comes back, he knows better for next time.

And btw, saying that he's borderline abusive??? Wow... You have no idea what child abuse is!
One of my brothers got thrown out at 19 for a while; some kids feel the need to see just where their parents draw the line. He'd been escalating his behaviour for sometime, figuring how much he could get away with. He spent a few weeks on friend's couches, but they got tired of that really fast, and eventually he got his act together. I'll pray for him by all means, and hope that it ends up being a learning experience for him.