Good lunches?
(01-03-2011, 01:49 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:
(01-03-2011, 01:28 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: I just had a delicious ham sammich.  Tasty club sammich roll and "black forest" ham from a local deli.

Yum yum yum!

:)

Lunchmeat ham is gross.  Ham should look like it came from an animal's leg rather than from a roundish tube.

I saw the lady chop it with the machine....  :S ?
(01-03-2011, 02:43 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote:
(01-03-2011, 01:49 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:
(01-03-2011, 01:28 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: I just had a delicious ham sammich.  Tasty club sammich roll and "black forest" ham from a local deli.

Yum yum yum!

:)

Lunchmeat ham is gross.  Ham should look like it came from an animal's leg rather than from a roundish tube.

I saw the lady chop it with the machine....  :S ?

The problem isn't the ham, but everything else.

Ham is actually pretty unhealthy. Try chicken or turkey, but not smoked. Smoked meat is also bad for you, has cancer causing carcinogens. Turkey and chicken are also super low in fat and calories. Eat lots of beans, in every way possible. LoW in fat and high in fiber. The higher in fiber the better, it will keep you fuller longer. I like refried beans, spread it on a tortilla shell, sprinkle a little bit of (light) cheese, fold in half and heat. It's good with salsa ( which again is super low in everything) indo weight watchers, salsa is 0 points. Scrambled egg whites and salsa is great too. Eat at least double or more veggies than meat or sides. Always eat the veggies first, drink a huge glass of water then eat the rest, you won't be so quick to eat the fattening stuff. Also, a grilled chicken Brest and sauerkraut is a yummy lunch. Sauerkraut it 0 points as well. I love weight watchers, and I lost 24 lbs in the last 9 weeks, it's totally worth looking into their cookbooks
I say, make extra dinner the night before and have the leftovers for lunch.  Then relax and have a cup of coffee before you go back to class.

If you must have lunch meat then it pays to invest in the good, more natural kind.  Not the slimy, gelatinous abominations at the grocery store.  I get low sodium roast turkey breast that is nitrate free and actually looks like  sliced turkey breast.  It's about $6.50 a pound on a good day.  Stop by a bakery on your way home for a fresh roll.  I'm all about trying to get the highest quality food that I can afford.  The cheap alternatives are soul crushing and unsatisfying over time.
What's all this talk about eating your vegetables first?!  Eat the meat first, then, if you're still hungry, eat the rabbit food.  And water?  Pfft!  Drink beer!  and you call yourself Canadian...  

;D

Seriously, though - if you have storage space in your freezer, make your meals ahead of time.  You can even store them in the fridge for a couple of days.  Soups are great, and they go great with a sammich.
A bowl of chili, a roast, some pasta is quick to cook - just make some sauce and separate it into individual servings, then freeze.  A Spanish 'omelet' is a great make-ahead dish, and you can wrap it in plastic wrap for a day or two.

Get creative with your sammiches, or make some pizza on some French bread, with some chunks of pre-cooked chicken breast ( cook your own), some sun-dried tomatoes, onions, olives, and a bit of cheese.
Rice and beans work great, and you can eat them together, or serve them alongside another dish.
Salads are also great, so if you grill some meat, you can slice that up and add it to a salad.

Now, sometimes, you may not want to eat  for lunch, what you had for supper the night before, so you can just have it the next day, instead.  Most foods will keep for a few days in the fridge, anyway.  If not, use your freezer.

Oh, and drink plenty of water - and not as beer.
I don't like coffee.  Hot drinks are ...  I don't like them.

Texican:  I have thought about this.  Although, my freezer is pretty full up, because the people I live with don't eat their frozen foods, they just let it sit there.  :(

But thanks for the good ideas, Pal and Tex ! :)
Oh yeah, Texican, you reminded me - salads!

If I'm not currently growing any, I get big bag of organic greens either from Costco or Trader Joe's.  Keep cucumbers, tomatoes, and carrots on hand.  I also keep frozen chicken or turkey breasts on hand , and back before my George Foreman disappeared, I would use that to quickly cook proteins for my salad.  It cooks quickly and doesn't burn things.

I also like to keep hard boiled eggs in the refrigerator for salads and sometimes feta or goat cheese.  I also keep almonds or sunflower seeds in the freezer for crunch and cranberries for sweetness.

Just experiment with different dressings.  My absolute favorite store bought dressing is Brianna's Real French Vinaigrette.  It is super simple and goes with almost everything.  It's hard to screw up a salad.
Make hummus. Easy, filling, tasty, nutritious. You can eat it on flatbread, crackers, or on top of a dark green salad with tomatoes, when they're in season.

Buy a whole chicken. Roast it -- very easy. Eat legs for dinner with some veg. Slice the breast and eat it on your sandwiches for a few days. The rest of the bird goes in the stew pot with onions, carrots and egg noodles -- then you have lovely chicken noodle soup to fill your thermos.

Learn to bake your own bread and crackers. Easy. Cheap. And just about the only way to avoid high fructose corn syrup these days.

My favorite sandwich spread when I was a child was cream cheese whipped with tuna, with a little pickle relish added. Easy, cheap, very tasty. Not fattening if you use low-fat cream cheese. Filling.
Lol texican!! Eating mad amounts of veggies is how I save my calories for my beer
(01-03-2011, 05:23 PM)CanadianCatholic Wrote: Lol texican!! Eating mad amounts of veggies is how I save my calories for my beer

You would think that after chasing your kids around all day, you'd be calorie-deficient or something...  ;D

and hummus, boiled eggs, feta, goat cheese and pita bread are great to have on hand ( I'm thinking of fatoush, now).
Tabbouleh is pretty filling, too.
You can dress up a simple salad with a simple vinaigrette and maybe some frozen seafood, like shrimp or scallops, that you lightly sauté, then toss on top of your salad.