Novus Ordo Argument
Why is the main, or almost sole, argument of an attendee of the novus ordo Mass that the only important thing is the Eucharist? While I am by no means downplaying the importance of the Host, and I agree that transubstantiation is the miracle that is at the core of our religion, I also feel other things are important. The local parish here has no statues whatsoever and the stations are VERY modern looking. I have asked, on a separate forum from this one, why many churches do not feel the need to use incense, statues, bells, etc......and the answer I always get is that "none of that matters, we are there for the Eucharist." When I ask why the changes in the prayers (prayers at foot of altar, last gospel, etc......) for the novus ordo Mass I get the response "because those are not important, the Eucharist is." I can never get any other answer for my legit questions on the new Mass (as it is what my wife and her family were raised in) except because the Vatican approves it and because it is all about the Eucharist. I can agree that statues and bells may not make or break the miracle of the bread and wine transforming I also know there are deeper meaning behind these traditions and numerous others that had/have withstood centuries before us. Maybe I am making a big deal out of nothing but it seems like talking to a brick wall sometimes.  ???
That's the only case they can make for the NO.
I attended the TLM for nearly 10 years. Because of a move, I now attend a NO mass. At my current NO parish I have a beautiful church (built in the mid-1970's) with stained glass, statues, and incense. Our priest allows only boys to be altar servers. We have an organ, and all of the hymns are sacred in nature. Only the priest and the deacons (two of them) distribute Holy Communion, and they distribute it under one species only. The sanctus bells are rung during the consecration. We sing the Sanctus and the Agnus Dei in Latin, and the Kyrie is sung in the traditional Greek rather than English.

My point in sharing this is not to argue for or against the NO mass, but only to show that it does not have to be the way many today experience it. Much depends on the priest and his fidelity to Church directives. Unfortunately, a lot also depends on his personal taste and interests.
(01-03-2011, 09:23 PM)adam2626 Wrote: Why is the main, or almost sole, argument of an attendee of the novus ordo Mass that the only important thing is the Eucharist? While I am by no means downplaying the importance of the Host, and I agree that transubstantiation is the miracle that is at the core of our religion, I also feel other things are important. The local parish here has no statues whatsoever and the stations are VERY modern looking. I have asked, on a separate forum from this one, why many churches do not feel the need to use incense, statues, bells, etc......and the answer I always get is that "none of that matters, we are there for the Eucharist." When I ask why the changes in the prayers (prayers at foot of altar, last gospel, etc......) for the novus ordo Mass I get the response "because those are not important, the Eucharist is." I can never get any other answer for my legit questions on the new Mass (as it is what my wife and her family were raised in) except because the Vatican approves it and because it is all about the Eucharist. I can agree that statues and bells may not make or break the miracle of the bread and wine transforming I also know there are deeper meaning behind these traditions and numerous others that had/have withstood centuries before us. Maybe I am making a big deal out of nothing but it seems like talking to a brick wall sometimes.  ???

That sounds like classic minimalism.

Hell why have a building to call a Church when we can do this in our garage?
You are just being fed the modernist BS about how the early church worshipped and why it is a good thing to focus only on the Eucharist.

But the ironic thing is that the NO advocates don't even do that right. They give communion in the hand and under both species, they dance before the altar and have a small army of Eucharistic ministers and readers etc.

What is really going on is that they want the 45minutes each week to parade themselves around and feel like they are holy. The modernist NO agenda is really just a rehash of the prideful Pharisees.

Statues, bells, incense etc are meant to encourage private prayer and interior conversion, they work on the senses to encourage us to contemplate God.
Tell them it's not just the Eucharist. 

The Eucharist is in the Orthodox Churches as well.  Why are they in a Catholic Church and not an Orthodox one? 

Is unity with the Pope not an essential?  Is the faith not essential?  Is the Eucharist  in and of itself the only valuable factor and not the disposition of the person in His presence?

Why not sleep with the Eucharist under your pillow?  If not, doesn't that mean the disposition of the person is related to that person's capability of experiencing Our Lord's presence?

If the disposition of the person helps the person experience the Real Presence better,  don't those things that give the greatest aid to disposing the person to the Eucharist have an essential role to play? 

If those things that help the disposition of the person are taken away or replaced by obstacles to the disposition needed to be with Our Lord, shouldn't those obstacles be removed?