Communion in the Hand: Sacrilege?
(01-05-2011, 03:09 PM)Stubborn Wrote:
(01-05-2011, 02:55 PM)lumine Wrote:
(01-04-2011, 11:08 PM)nsper7 Wrote: It seems like one of a bigger debates among Catholics is whether 'communion in the hand' (along with the corollary of whether EMHCs are sacrilegious since they are handling the Host as well) is sacrilegious or not. Obviously, the hands that confect the Eucharist (the Priest or Bishop's hands) have to be properly consecrated, but where does it infallibly declare that it is sacrilegious for the laity to handle the Eucharist under proper circumstances (i.e. receiving in the hand; EMHCs dispensing the Hosts to communicants, etc.)?

It doesn't infallibly state that anywhere, other wise the Vatican couldn't issue indults to countries where the laity are allowed to receive Holy Communion in the hand.

It has always been a teaching of the pre-V2 Church that only consecrated fingers are to touch the consecrated Host. Some of the reasons for this I pasted above.

Our Lord said to eat His Body, not handle His Body. The opportunity for profaning the Sacred Body of Our Lord in many different ways is inherent with the unnecessary handling of It.   

Because NOers and some trads have accepted it as routine does not change what the church used to teach - that it was a sacrilege to touch the consecrated host.

As Mgr. Lefèbvre predicted, this ecumenism [of the NO] “will not attract a single Protestant to the Faith, but will cause countless Catholics to lose it, and will instil total confusion in the minds of many more who will no longer know what is true and what is false” (MD p. 273) .

No, it has not always been a teaching of the pre-Vatican II Church that only consecrated hands touch the Eucharist.  At least get the facts straight.
Will these facts suffice?  Please read them all before you reply.

ST. SIXTUS I (115-125). Prohibited the faithful from even touching the Sacred Vessels: "Statutum est ut sacra vasa non ab aliis quam a sacratis Dominoque dicatis contrectentur hominibus..." [It has been decreed that the Sacred Vessels are not to be handled by others than by those consecrated and dedicated to the Lord.]

POPE ST. EUTYCHIAN (275-283). Forbade the faithful from taking the Sacred Host in their hand.

ST. BASIL THE GREAT, DOCTOR OF THE CHURCH (330-379). "The right to receive Holy Communion in the hand is permitted only in time of persecution." St. Basil considered Communion in the hand so irregular that he did not hesitate to consider it a grave fault.

COUNCIL OF SARAGOSSA (380). It was decided to punish with EXCOMMUNICATION anyone who dared to continue the practice of Holy Communion in the hand. The Synod of Toledo confirmed this decree.

POPE ST. LEO I THE GREAT (440-461). Energetically defended and required faithful obedience to the practice of administering Holy Communion on the tongue of the faithful.

SYNOD OF ROUEN (650). Condemned Communion in the hand to halt widespread abuses that occurred from this practice, and as a safeguard against sacrilege.

SIXTH ECUMENICAL COUNCIL, AT CONSTANTINOPLE (680-681). Forbade the faithful to take the Sacred Host in their hand, threatening the transgressors with excommunication.

ST. THOMAS AQUINAS (1225-1274). "Out of reverence towards this sacrament [the Holy Eucharist], nothing touches it, but what is consecrated; hence the corporal and the chalice are consecrated, and likewise the priest's hands, for touching this sacrament." (Summa Theologica, Pars III, Q. 82, Art. 3, Rep. Obj. 8 )

COUNCIL OF TRENT (1545-1565). "The fact that only the priest gives Holy Communion with his consecrated hands is an Apostolic Tradition."

POPE PAUL VI (1963-1978). "This method [on the tongue] must be retained." (Apostolic Epistle "Memoriale Domini")

POPE JOHN PAUL II (1978-). "To touch the sacred species and to distribute them with their own hands is a privilege of the ordained. (Dominicae Cenae, sec. 11)

"It is not permitted that the faithful should themselves pick up the consecrated bread and the sacred chalice, still less that they should hand them from one to another." (Inaestimabile Donum, April 17, 1980, sec. 9)
(01-05-2011, 03:13 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(01-05-2011, 03:10 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:
(01-05-2011, 02:59 PM)lumine Wrote: If anything on our bodies could be considered less worthy than our hands it could be our mouths and tongues.

I don't have hard data to back this up, but I have read that, in general, there are more bacteria (and more harmful bacteria) on your hands than in your mouth. Maybe if you just got done washing your hands (with soap) they might be cleaner. But your hands touch nastier stuff than your mouth does.

Also, your hands touch everything, your mouth doesn't.

More importantly yet, when receiving on the tongue, there's no risk of small particles of the Host being lost or trampled. It avoids sacrilege.

I most firmly believe in Transubstantiation, and there are times when I receive Holy Communion in my hands.  When I receive in this way, I am just as careful as when I receive on the tongue.  I look at my Lord as I am putting my hand to my mouth, and I have never seen particles on my hands or fingers.  Some parishes use patens when Holy Communion is administered to avoid spills on the floor.
(01-05-2011, 03:32 PM)lumine Wrote:
(01-05-2011, 03:13 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(01-05-2011, 03:10 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:
(01-05-2011, 02:59 PM)lumine Wrote: If anything on our bodies could be considered less worthy than our hands it could be our mouths and tongues.

I don't have hard data to back this up, but I have read that, in general, there are more bacteria (and more harmful bacteria) on your hands than in your mouth. Maybe if you just got done washing your hands (with soap) they might be cleaner. But your hands touch nastier stuff than your mouth does.

Also, your hands touch everything, your mouth doesn't.

More importantly yet, when receiving on the tongue, there's no risk of small particles of the Host being lost or trampled. It avoids sacrilege.

I most firmly believe in Transubstantiation, and there are times when I receive Holy Communion in my hands.  When I receive in this way, I am just as careful as when I receive on the tongue.  I look at my Lord as I am putting my hand to my mouth, and I have never seen particles on my hands or fingers.  Some parishes use patens when Holy Communion is administered to avoid spills on the floor.

http://wdtprs.com/blog/2009/03/poll-comm...-the-hand/ Please click the link and scroll down if these pictures don't show up in this post.

[Image: 09_03_15_host01.jpg]

This photo shows the fragments left behind.

[Image: 09_03_15_host02.jpg]
From Saint Cyril of Jerusalem, Bishop and Doctor of the Church from the fourth century:
"Approaching do not come with thy palms stretched flat nor with fingers separated. But making thy left hand a seat for thy right, and hollowing thy palm, receive the Body of Christ, responding Amen. And having with care hallowed thine eyes by the touch of the Holy Body, take it, vigilant lest thou drop any of it. For shouldst thou lose any of it, it is as though thou wast deprived of a member of thy own body." "Then after Communion of the Body of Christ, approach the Chalice of His Blood, not extending thy hands, but bending low, and with adoration and reverence saying Amen, sanctify thyself by receiving also the Blood of Christ. And while thy lips are yet wet, touch them with thy hands, and sanctify thy eyes and thy forehead and thy other senses" (Cat. Myst., v, 22, 21-22).
(01-05-2011, 03:39 PM)lumine Wrote: From Saint Cyril of Jerusalem, Bishop and Doctor of the Church from the fourth century:
"Approaching do not come with thy palms stretched flat nor with fingers separated. But making thy left hand a seat for thy right, and hollowing thy palm, receive the Body of Christ, responding Amen. And having with care hallowed thine eyes by the touch of the Holy Body, take it, vigilant lest thou drop any of it. For shouldst thou lose any of it, it is as though thou wast deprived of a member of thy own body." "Then after Communion of the Body of Christ, approach the Chalice of His Blood, not extending thy hands, but bending low, and with adoration and reverence saying Amen, sanctify thyself by receiving also the Blood of Christ. And while thy lips are yet wet, touch them with thy hands, and sanctify thy eyes and thy forehead and thy other senses" (Cat. Myst., v, 22, 21-22).

Quit touching the Consecrated Host unless you're hands are consecrated.

POPE PAUL VI (1963-1978). "This method [on the tongue] must be retained." (Apostolic Epistle "Memoriale Domini")

POPE JOHN PAUL II (1978-). "To touch the sacred species and to distribute them with their own hands is a privilege of the ordained. (Dominicae Cenae, sec. 11)

"It is not permitted that the faithful should themselves pick up the consecrated bread and the sacred chalice, still less that they should hand them from one to another." (Inaestimabile Donum, April 17, 1980, sec. 9)
We really go round in circles, don't we?
As Mgr. Lefèbvre predicted, this ecumenism [of the NO] “will not attract a single Protestant to the Faith, but will cause countless Catholics to lose it, and will instil total confusion in the minds of many more who will no longer know what is true and what is false

The good Archbishop was soooo right on the money. Absolutely incredible.

(01-05-2011, 03:48 PM)Stubborn Wrote:
(01-05-2011, 03:39 PM)lumine Wrote: From Saint Cyril of Jerusalem, Bishop and Doctor of the Church from the fourth century:

Quit touching the Consecrated Host unless you're hands are consecrated.

"It is not permitted that the faithful should themselves pick up the consecrated bread and the sacred chalice, still less that they should hand them from one to another." (Inaestimabile Donum, April  17, 1980, sec. 9)

Pope Benedict XVI has administered Holy Communion into the hands of laity, recently.  Whatever teaching you are following, it isn't universal, and it isn't doctrine.
(01-05-2011, 03:28 PM)Stubborn Wrote: POPE PAUL VI (1963-1978). "This method [on the tongue] must be retained." (Apostolic Epistle "Memoriale Domini")

It was under the pontificate of Pope Paul VI that the indults were granted for bishops to allow the reception of Holy Communion in the hand.