Communion in the Hand: Sacrilege?
(01-05-2011, 03:39 PM)lumine Wrote: From Saint Cyril of Jerusalem, Bishop and Doctor of the Church from the fourth century:
"Approaching do not come with thy palms stretched flat nor with fingers separated. But making thy left hand a seat for thy right, and hollowing thy palm, receive the Body of Christ, responding Amen. And having with care hallowed thine eyes by the touch of the Holy Body, take it, vigilant lest thou drop any of it. For shouldst thou lose any of it, it is as though thou wast deprived of a member of thy own body." "Then after Communion of the Body of Christ, approach the Chalice of His Blood, not extending thy hands, but bending low, and with adoration and reverence saying Amen, sanctify thyself by receiving also the Blood of Christ. And while thy lips are yet wet, touch them with thy hands, and sanctify thy eyes and thy forehead and thy other senses" (Cat. Myst., v, 22, 21-22).

If I had a nickel every time a proponent of CITH cited this quotation, I'd be wealthy man. Perhaps if you continued reading, you would've come across the portion where St. Cyril also encourages us to smear consecrated wine on our faces. Should we revive this ... or can we come to the realization that our understanding of Eucharistic theology has been refined since the 4th century?

I have yet to encounter any reason why a faithful Catholic who believes in the Real Presence would dare hold our Lord in his paw other than communion-line peer pressure and some self-conscious need to "not make a scene".
(01-06-2011, 10:27 PM)Joshua Wrote: I have yet to encounter any reason why a faithful Catholic who believes in the Real Presence would dare hold our Lord in his paw other than communion-line peer pressure and some self-conscious need to "not make a scene".

People who are formed in the Novus Ordo Mass are likely to take the practice of CITH for granted.  I suspect that, in most cases, they are neither culpable nor stupid.  I think that we will be more persuasive if we can explain the issue kindly and patiently.  I expect good results from assuming that people wish to honour Our Lord in the Eucharist and appealing to this motive. 
(01-06-2011, 10:27 PM)Joshua Wrote: I have yet to encounter any reason why a faithful Catholic who believes in the Real Presence would dare hold our Lord in his paw other than communion-line peer pressure and some self-conscious need to "not make a scene".

Not everyone "knows" what you "know". There are tons of awesome folk out there who do CITH. I mean, yeesh, do most Catholics even know that the 1962 mass is even still available?
(01-06-2011, 10:53 PM)Bakuryokuso Wrote:

Not everyone "knows" what you "know". There are tons of awesome folk out there who do CITH. I mean, yeesh, do most Catholics even know that the 1962 mass is even still available?

Good point -- I had no idea until quite recently. And most of the other things that really bother trads -- altar girls, EMHCs, the "sign of peace", "for all" instead of "for many", etc. -- it never occurred to me that there was a problem with any of that until I started hanging around this forum. There is a family of trads who sit right in front of me at the NO Mass every weekday morning. I always thought they were just weird -- now I know why they do the things they do, and I've started doing some of the same things myself. People like me aren't hateful or disrespectful -- we're just ignorant. And I'm working on that.
In my opinion, the modern practice of receiving holy Communion in the hand borders on sacrilege in most instances.
(01-05-2011, 04:26 PM)lumine Wrote:
(01-05-2011, 03:49 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: We really go round in circles, don't we?

I don't.

LOL.
(01-06-2011, 10:53 PM)Bakuryokuso Wrote: Not everyone "knows" what you "know". There are tons of awesome folk out there who do CITH.

There are also tons of "awesome folk out there" who do Christ alone, Allah, Shiva and Buddha.

Personal "awesomeness" has no bearing whatsoever on this issue.
(01-07-2011, 03:57 AM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(01-06-2011, 10:53 PM)Bakuryokuso Wrote: Not everyone "knows" what you "know". There are tons of awesome folk out there who do CITH.

There are also tons of "awesome folk out there" who do Christ alone, Allah, Shiva and Buddha.

I meant faithful/orthodox Catholics. Sometimes Trads act like Gnostics: "We have secret knowledge... everyone else out there is wrong... they haven't seen the light". I think it's important to accept that most Catholics - Catholics in good standing - are ignorant of Tradition thru no fault of their own... so I don't think it's fair to trash them.

Anyhow, the word "awesome" should not be applied to non-Christians because only God can generate true awe.
(01-07-2011, 10:06 AM)Bakuryokuso Wrote:
(01-07-2011, 03:57 AM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:

I meant faithful/orthodox Catholics. Sometimes Trads act like Gnostics: "We have secret knowledge... everyone else out there is wrong... they haven't seen the light". I think it's important to accept that most Catholics - Catholics in good standing - are ignorant of Tradition thru no fault of their own... so I don't think it's fair to trash them.

Anyhow, the word "awesome" should not be applied to non-Christians because only God can generate true awe.

The heck of it is, there is no secret knowledge - none even implied.

If folks continue to attend the NOM, at the very least, they will end up accepting and even adhere to it's error. In so doing will blind themselves to the obvious - this is by design.
(01-07-2011, 11:06 AM)Stubborn Wrote: The heck of it is, there is no secret knowledge - none even implied.

If folks continue to attend the NOM, at the very least, they will end up accepting and even adhere to it's error. In so doing will blind themselves to the obvious - this is by design.

Most of the strong, thought-out criticisms of the NOM are SSPX-based and many otherwise faithful Catholics avoid the SSPX because of misunderstandings of schism and obedience. So it is very. very difficult to find other sources of criticism of the NOM. And it is unlikely that any Catholic would reject they NOM without its problems being explained to them.