Communion in the Hand: Sacrilege?
(01-07-2011, 12:09 PM)Bakuryokuso Wrote:
(01-07-2011, 11:06 AM)Stubborn Wrote: The heck of it is, there is no secret knowledge - none even implied.

If folks continue to attend the NOM, at the very least, they will end up accepting and even adhere to it's error. In so doing will blind themselves to the obvious - this is by design.

Most of the strong, thought-out criticisms of the NOM are SSPX-based and many otherwise faithful Catholics avoid the SSPX because of misunderstandings of schism and obedience. So it is very. very difficult to find other sources of criticism of the NOM. And it is unlikely that any Catholic would reject they NOM without its problems being explained to them.

There is a reason why most are SSPX based - they were, after all, the perpetrators of adhering to the true faith against the tide of the revolution. 
(01-07-2011, 12:14 PM)Stubborn Wrote:
(01-07-2011, 12:09 PM)Bakuryokuso Wrote:
(01-07-2011, 11:06 AM)Stubborn Wrote: The heck of it is, there is no secret knowledge - none even implied.

If folks continue to attend the NOM, at the very least, they will end up accepting and even adhere to it's error. In so doing will blind themselves to the obvious - this is by design.

Most of the strong, thought-out criticisms of the NOM are SSPX-based and many otherwise faithful Catholics avoid the SSPX because of misunderstandings of schism and obedience. So it is very. very difficult to find other sources of criticism of the NOM. And it is unlikely that any Catholic would reject they NOM without its problems being explained to them.

There is a reason why most are SSPX based - they were, after all, the perpetrators of adhering to the true faith against the tide of the revolution. 

Exactly. So I'd argue that once they're regularized it will be easier to criticize adherents to the NOM because they will have less of an excuse for their ignorance. I mean, they don't even teach Latin in seminaries anymore (at least in Quebec). We have a long way to go.
(01-06-2011, 10:27 PM)Joshua Wrote: I have yet to encounter any reason why a faithful Catholic who believes in the Real Presence would dare hold our Lord in his paw other than communion-line peer pressure and some self-conscious need to "not make a scene".

As a nonCatholic who has been following this discussion with interest, I have a question:  In NO masses here in the US, do Catholics have the option of receiving the Eucharist on the tongue instead of in the hand, or is it the bishop's (or priest's) decision as to where the Eucharist must be placed?
(01-07-2011, 10:06 AM)Bakuryokuso Wrote: I meant faithful/orthodox Catholics. Sometimes Trads act like Gnostics: "We have secret knowledge... everyone else out there is wrong... they haven't seen the light". I think it's important to accept that most Catholics - Catholics in good standing - are ignorant of Tradition thru no fault of their own... so I don't think it's fair to trash them.

In general, it is better to confine our remarks to doctrines and practices.  It is appropriate to discuss the status of CITH, but not to  judge the motives of people who do it.  
I don't have time to read the entire debate but I'd just like to jump in to voice my view.  Is Communion in the hand a sacrilege?  Yes.  I don't know if any of these have been brought up, but there are a lot of holy words from the saints/blesseds that Communion in the Hand is a sacrilege: http://acatholiclife.blogspot.com/2007/0...rence.html
For all who have found fault in my last comment and jumped to all manner of conclusions, what I neglected to add was:

"I have yet to encounter any reason why a faithful Catholic who believes in the Real Presence [and is aware of the theological and practical reasons for COTT] would dare hold our Lord in his paw other than communion-line peer pressure and some self-conscious need to "not make a scene".
(01-07-2011, 11:02 PM)acatholiclife Wrote: I don't have time to read the entire debate but I'd just like to jump in to voice my view.  Is Communion in the hand a sacrilege?  Yes.  I don't know if any of these have been brought up, but there are a lot of holy words from the saints/blesseds that Communion in the Hand is a sacrilege: http://acatholiclife.blogspot.com/2007/0...rence.html

Great link. The things said are what the Church used to teach before the NO. Thanks for that link!

However, nearly all Catholic churches see an "army" of extraordinary ministers at Sunday Mass when they are gravely unnecessary. As in the pre-Vatican II era, the priest today could easily distribute Holy Communion to a large congregation. The additional time in the distribution of Holy Communion would be beneficial for the Faithful since they could kneel longer in contemplation and thanksgiving for receiving the true Body and Blood of Jesus Christ.

Another good link:
http://www.communion-in-the-hand.org/index.html
Some people are confusing doctrine with discipline here.  Fundamentally speaking, receiving Holy Communion in the hand does not go against doctrine. 
As for crisis in the Church, these times are not the greatest crisis the Church has ever seen.  One only needs to read accurate history in order to know this.
(01-08-2011, 10:18 AM)lumine Wrote: Some people are confusing doctrine with discipline here.  Fundamentally speaking, receiving Holy Communion in the hand does not go against doctrine. 
As for crisis in the Church, these times are not the greatest crisis the Church has ever seen.  One only needs to read accurate history in order to know this.

Fundamentally speaking, I agree CITH does not go against doctrine in the NO, but then again, what does go against doctrine in the NO, please enlighten me - - - - - as soon as something appears to go against doctrine in the NO, a new doctrine is perpetrated - like CITH.

This crisis is the worst the world has ever known and hopefully will ever know.

Never before has pretty much the entire world been led into error by bad shepherds of the church under the guise of obedience.