I'm freaking out again (worry)
(01-09-2011, 12:13 PM)Paloma Wrote:
(01-09-2011, 09:32 AM)Iolanthe Wrote: :pray2:

Probably if you tell her the stuffed animal wanted to stay at the zoo, and you show her a picture of the replacement one and say it's coming in the mail, she won't be as upset. Try to make up an interesting story about why the other one wanted to stay and maybe say it has a twin brother or something. (I don't really consider that lying.) She might end up not being upset at all.

Just a thought.

Cute!

I third this suggestion...although at her age be prepared for her to ask you to retell the tale 50x in a row without leaving out any of the details from your first telling of it.  I once told my daughter (she was about 3yo) a story about a poor little bird that we saw one day...which has since become a fond memory for us both.  Sometimes creative storytelling can be a way to show a child how much you care.

:pray2:
I agree with libby - don't tell her something that isn't true.  Make it into a lesson about how to deal with loss and problems if you have to.  If you make it a positive experience now, it could really help give her a solid base for dealing with these things later.

:pray:
(01-09-2011, 03:43 PM)cgraye Wrote: I agree with libby - don't tell her something that isn't true.  Make into a lesson about how to deal with loss and problems if you have to.  If you make it a positive experience now, it could really help give her a solid base for dealing with these things later.

I agree with this.  My kids know death because of pets that have died.  They still get sad, but they don't need laudanum when it happens.  In fact, we had an incident not too long ago with some possum and some of our ducks, and my 10 year old actually helped me collect severed duck heads and duck bodies that were strewn around the yard.

Tell her it got lost, and offer to get her another toy animal.  But, don't spring it on her.  Get it for her when she's adjusted and wants one.

I'm with quiz on this one. Tell her it got lost, and bring her to toys r us and let her pick a new toy
It's not your fault. You can't shelter her from every disappointment, from every sorrow. You know you can't.

One of my girls was like yours, but oddly enough, she liked toy hammers. When she lost it, she had a little crisis, but then she eventually became attached to another similar stick shaped thing--it was a Kid's Meal toy from Burger King. I went out and bought like about three more of the same.  :)

You just wait, your girl will pick a new fave on her own before long. I bet It'll be something similar--another stuffed animal. Then she will loose that one, too!  :P

"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton