Hacking attempt on the forum
(01-11-2011, 01:20 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: Not sure.  It looks like a script that runs at semi-regular intervals.  Or someone with way too much time on their hands.

That could be any one of us...

(01-11-2011, 07:39 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
(01-11-2011, 01:20 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: Not sure.  It looks like a script that runs at semi-regular intervals.  Or someone with way too much time on their hands.

That could be any one of us...

I guess it's time to call him.

[Image: arts-graphics-2008_1131593a.gif]
Are we safe if our password consists of letters and numbers?
(01-12-2011, 12:45 AM)Gilgamesh Wrote: Are we safe if our password consists of letters and numbers?

Not if it's "123abc"
(01-12-2011, 12:57 AM)CollegeCatholic Wrote:
(01-12-2011, 12:45 AM)Gilgamesh Wrote: Are we safe if our password consists of letters and numbers?

Not if it's "123abc"

What if it's "heaven17"?
(01-12-2011, 01:15 AM)Gilgamesh Wrote:
(01-12-2011, 12:57 AM)CollegeCatholic Wrote:

Not if it's "123abc"

What if it's "heaven17"?

LOL

OK, here's a quick cracking primer.

If you use the same password in multiple places, if they crack one place, they can get into other places.

Say your e-mail here is feuser@somemail.com  and your password is bones32

Then, your facebook account is feuser@somemail.com and the password there is the same.

When they crack here, they have an email and a password they can try other places.

The worst passwords are common words because they are common and used in a dictionary attack.  Basically, they just try all the words in the dictionary and see if they hit it.

Letter/number combinations are better because they increase the amount of possible passwords and a list of common words in a dictionary won't help.  But, if they guess your password, the above problem still remains.

So, while many of us have a password we use in multiple places, it's best to have a separate one for banking and stuff.  It is often good to use a password manager.

I've been using this with good results so far:

http://www.lastpass.com

There is also roboform which I used a lot

http://www.roboform.com

And finally keepass

http://keepass.info/

But for sure, keep a unique password for banks and things like that.
Can u determine who was targeted and if the target has been penetrated?
(01-12-2011, 09:01 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: Can u determine who was targeted and if the target has been penetrated?

It's walking through the entire member list, including spammers.

No, I can't easily tell if they got in to a particular account.
Ok
(01-12-2011, 09:10 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:
(01-12-2011, 09:01 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: Can u determine who was targeted and if the target has been penetrated?

It's walking through the entire member list, including spammers.

No, I can't easily tell if they got in to a particular account.

Make an account with a the password "password" and see what they are trying to do.