Hacking attempt on the forum
(02-27-2011, 06:42 PM)JesusFreak84 Wrote: If even one person on this forum has a good credit rating or uses the same login for their bank that they do here, that's all the payoff a hacker needs.

how is that possible, the only information shared here is already public?
(02-27-2011, 06:51 PM)UnamSanctam Wrote:
(02-27-2011, 06:42 PM)JesusFreak84 Wrote: If even one person on this forum has a good credit rating or uses the same login for their bank that they do here, that's all the payoff a hacker needs.

how is that possible, the only information shared here is already public?

They guess your password.  If you use that password and that e-mail at your bank, they own you.  Lots of people use one password all over the internet.  Don't.  Try to use one password per site.
(01-15-2011, 08:46 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: Also, it is prudent in general to copy PMs to your computer and delete them. If for no other reason: if the forum closes tomorrow, you'll lose them.

A fairly quick way to do that is to save each page of messages from your browser.

Is there a quicker way?
(02-28-2011, 07:36 PM)Incarnatur Wrote:
(01-15-2011, 08:46 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: Also, it is prudent in general to copy PMs to your computer and delete them. If for no other reason: if the forum closes tomorrow, you'll lose them.

A fairly quick way to do that is to save each page of messages from your browser.

Is there a quicker way?

I would just do copy and paste into notepad or Evernote or somethign like that.  Saving a whole page is kind of a waste.
I think I switched my password during the last hacking attempt. Now I can't remember what I picked. What should I do?
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
(03-01-2011, 01:11 PM)Jacafamala Wrote: I think I switched my password during the last hacking attempt. Now I can't remember what I picked. What should I do?

The best thing to do would be to log out and click that you forgot your password at login.  It will send you a mail.

I can reset passwords manually, but I cannot retrieve passwords - they are encrypted/hashed by the system and not even I can decode them.
OOOOOOOhhhhh the irony!  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Is it 'Support Your Moderators' week yet?!

::Nods at Quis::  Hey, teach!  What're we covering this week, Forms and Categories?

;)  :P

More seriously, how does the same guy continue getting access to new accounts?  Is it by having a handful of laptops lying around at home?  Would each one have its own IP address?  ???
He's using proxy sites that way he has a new IP every time he comes here.
Oh.  Well, is there any software that detects proxy sites and prevents their access?  If there is, I'm betting it costs a lot of money though...  :broke: