Beatification of JPII
CBC News has just reported that 'sources in the Vatican' have said the the Holy Father will approve the beatification of Pope John Paul the Small later this week.
Well that's just gggrrrraaatttte.  ::)
(01-12-2011, 06:06 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: CBC News has just reported that 'sources in the Vatican' have said the the Holy Father will approve the beatification of Pope John Paul the Small later this week.

Quote:When speaking about the current Holy Father or any previous Pope, he will be spoken of respectfully. He may be referred to using his proper titles, e.g., The Holy Father, or his Papal name, e.g., in the case of the current Pontiff, Benedict XVI or Benedict.

Any criticism of Papal actions must be done respectfully with due consideration given both to the person and office of the Pope, remembering that he is the Vicar of Christ and holds the Keys. This means referring to him as an heretic, accusing him of heresy, etc. is not allowed on this forum. Sarcastic or vitriolic comments, or anything not worthy of the dignity of the Papacy is not allowed. He should always be given the benefit of the doubt for his actions, as far as reason allows, out of respect for the Throne of Peter and the Magisterium.
(01-12-2011, 06:28 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:
(01-12-2011, 06:06 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: CBC News has just reported that 'sources in the Vatican' have said the the Holy Father will approve the beatification of Pope John Paul the Small later this week.

Quote:When speaking about the current Holy Father or any previous Pope, he will be spoken of respectfully. He may be referred to using his proper titles, e.g., The Holy Father, or his Papal name, e.g., in the case of the current Pontiff, Benedict XVI or Benedict.

Any criticism of Papal actions must be done respectfully with due consideration given both to the person and office of the Pope, remembering that he is the Vicar of Christ and holds the Keys. This means referring to him as an heretic, accusing him of heresy, etc. is not allowed on this forum. Sarcastic or vitriolic comments, or anything not worthy of the dignity of the Papacy is not allowed. He should always be given the benefit of the doubt for his actions, as far as reason allows, out of respect for the Throne of Peter and the Magisterium.

Sorry, Quis. I was just reacting to the John Paul the Great crowd.
(01-12-2011, 06:34 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: Sorry, Quis. I was just reacting to the John Paul the Great crowd.

Yeah, I know, and I agree in sentiment.  However, things got out of hand here with Pope bashing so I had to tighten the rules.

Quis,
Occasionally I refer to JPII as Pope St. John Paul II Martyr, Angelic Doctor of the Church.  This is rhetorical flourish to make a point on the obsession of Neo Catholics, and is not meant to denigrate the Pope.

Your call, if that is outlawed, I will respect your rules.
(01-12-2011, 06:42 PM)James02 Wrote: Quis,
Occasionally I refer to JPII as Pope St. John Paul II Martyr, Angelic Doctor of the Church.  This is rhetorical flourish to make a point on the obsession of Neo Catholics, and is not meant to denigrate the Pope.

Your call, if that is outlawed, I will respect your rules.

I will have to say outlawed because the rule is to speak respectfully.  However, I have absolutely no problem with the calling out of that obsession and making a civil argument that "the Great" is inappropriate especially when backed up with facts.
Does beatification imply orthodoxy?
This French nun has been having an on again, off again relapse of symptoms, so I tend to doubt this so called miraculous curing.

As with the movement to Beatify and Canonize John XXIII and Paul VI, they really want to Beatify and Canonize the revolution they all helped to foster.
Explanation of the obsession Neo Catholics have with Pope JP II:

Early in his pontificate, he went to visit Poland.  The Polish government withdrew permission (on the order of the Soviets) at the last minute.  However, JPII ordered his plane to land in Poland anyway, making him a hero.  And earning his spurs as an anti-Communist CONSERVATIVE.  Later, he was gunned down by a Soviet hit man, solidifying for us that he was CONSERVATIVE.  At that time, we lived in fear that any moment the commies would launch a nuclear attack and wipe us out.  Having a leader take the fight to the commies was very uplifting.

HOWEVER, on Church matters, JPII was a big liberal and even a suspect universalist.  But he rode his previous reputation as a conservative during his pontificate.  Even his failure to crack down on the sodomite abuse, and his whisking away Archbishop Law to Rome to escape the posse is blanked out by the Neo Catholics.  But really, even about 10 years prior, the Vatican was covering up what Roman Catholic Faithful was uncovering about the homosexual molestations.

Anyhow, Pope JP II was a liberal and was a terrible Pope.  He might be in heaven, that is up to God, but it is very unwise to declare him a Pope.  In fact, the homosexual molestation cover-up scandal is still active, and some very bad information could come out.  In fact I think it exists and is being used to blackmail the current Pontiff (consider the Pelosi and Obama visits).