Protestant converts And V-II
(01-13-2011, 12:05 AM)Walty Wrote: I've found that many Protestants who convert most definitely convert to a neo-conservative Catholicism, but they are almost entirely unaware of the Protestantizing of their new religion and just how different it was only decades ago.

This
(01-27-2011, 01:48 AM)Baskerville Wrote:
(01-13-2011, 12:05 AM)Walty Wrote: I've found that many Protestants who convert most definitely convert to a neo-conservative Catholicism, but they are almost entirely unaware of the Protestantizing of their new religion and just how different it was only decades ago.

This

But they quite often find out after a while.  I think most if not all know about Vatican II, and that Mass was in Latin before, but they don't know about all the other changes at first.

I kind of fitted that bill. I was dimly aware that Latin was the historical language of the liturgy and that there was a traditionalist movement out there, but I was distracted by a parish that had reverent, tasteful NO masses in a lovely historic church, great music, intelligent homilies, etc., and wasn't aware of how painfully vulgar most masses in most parishes had become. Since then, I've been in a bit of a Babylonian captivity, but I make the most of it and await reforms.
(01-27-2011, 02:23 AM)Revixit Wrote:

This

But they quite often find out after a while.  I think most if not all know about Vatican II, and that Mass was in Latin before, but they don't know about all the other changes at first.

Yes, the man who essentially converted me from pluralistic paganism (though I am technically a cradle Catholic) to true Catholic is a convert.  He was my high school English teacher and is in many ways like a second father.  I think he was pretty concerned when we sat down this summer and I explained a bit about what I believe now as a traditionalist, but the more that we speak about it the more that he seems to come around.  It was the extension and fulfillment of what he taught me that lead me to traditionalism so I trust that it is only time until he arrives as well.  And I think that can be the case with a lot of converts.  It's just about getting the argument for traditionalism out there in an approachable way.
(01-27-2011, 03:06 AM)Walty Wrote:
(01-27-2011, 02:23 AM)Revixit Wrote:

This

Yes, the man who essentially converted me from pluralistic paganism (though I am technically a cradle Catholic) to true Catholic is a convert.  He was my high school English teacher and is in many ways like a second father.  I think he was pretty concerned when we sat down this summer and I explained a bit about what I believe now as a traditionalist, but the more that we speak about it the more that he seems to come around.  It was the extension and fulfillment of what he taught me that lead me to traditionalism so I trust that it is only time until he arrives as well.  And I think that can be the case with a lot of converts.  It's just about getting the argument for traditionalism out there in an approachable way.

I agree, Walty.I would have gone straight to Tradition if it weren't for everyone telling me I would go to Hell if I went to the SSPX. I was horrified when I first walked into the extremely liberal parish that I was baptized and confirmed in. I was actually expecting TLM and Gregorian chant, cassocks, and high altars. I sought them out from day one because I realized that somehow even though I was now Catholic I wasn't truly Catholic and it tormented me...
(01-26-2011, 11:49 PM)Peter Gabriel Wrote: I'm still a new convert, less than a year ago.  The fact that the majority of the Church uses a new liturgy that is clearly not timeless(at least the way it is generally celebrated) and the apparent changes in teaching made conversion much more difficult, as I knew the true religion would be the only thing able to resist the changes of the times.   
Welcome to the tank and thanks for your perspective!