Anyone know about this order
I don't know how orthodox this hermitage is but it looks like the most beautiful place to have a hermitage!!

http://www.contemplation.com/

[Image: header.jpg]
Went to the site and found a link for their Oblates. It mentioned the LOTH as their office, so probably not trad.
tim
If you go to Daily Prayers, they list

11:30 Sacrament of the Eucharist.

I have never heard the Mass called this in traditional circles.  Sounds like a NO term, with the emphasis on the Eucharist.  A trad would refer to it as the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass or in similar terms.

i agree with Tim that it is probably not trad.

Also, just in reading their pages, I don't get a trad feeling, FWIW.
(01-15-2011, 06:17 PM)MaterLaeta Wrote: If you go to Daily Prayers, they list

11:30 Sacrament of the Eucharist.

I have never heard the Mass called this in traditional circles.  Sounds like a NO term, with the emphasis on the Eucharist.  A trad would refer to it as the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass or in similar terms.

i agree with Tim that it is probably not trad.

Also, just in reading their pages, I don't get a trad feeling, FWIW.

The Novus Ordo parish for my college calls every Mass, literally, "Eucharist."  They have "Weekend Eucharist" and "Weekday Eucharist"
::)
They are NO. But they have been around a long time
They are in the new age city of Big sur, California right on the Pacific Ocean, they are far from traditional.
Thanks for the info...Might be a nice place to look at but I wouldn't want to live there...the fruit cake they sell looks delicious though...and they also sell Mystic Monk Coffee from the Monks at Wyoming which I believe is a trad order.

(01-15-2011, 06:17 PM)MaterLaeta Wrote: I have never heard the Mass called this in traditional circles.  Sounds like a NO term, with the emphasis on the Eucharist.  A trad would refer to it as the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass or in similar terms.

Good observation. That being said, the Eucharist is a legitimate term for the Mass. It conveniently applies to all forms of the sacrament, but the word "Mass" can only describe the Eucharist celebrated in Western rites. In Eastern rites, it doesn't work because there's no tradition of 'ite, missa est' (where the word "Mass" is derived). So there's no such thing as "the Byzantine Mass", for example.
Look at the pics of the Chapel. the Altar is the epitome of the NO "table".
Their chapel or church itself has an ugly "Pizza Hut moderne" look to it, but the altar is indeed some kind of stone. Looks like they have a pretty rigorous monastic schedule though. I'm gasping at the amount of acreage, they have. 899 acres!
At least they seem true to being a hermitage and keeping away from the world.

C.