Confession experience
At the NO church where I sometimes go to confession, the priest is very quick with confessions.  I was once sitting waiting for confession with probably, 8 or 9 others, and Father came along and said "Right, I want you to come in, tell me when your last confession was, list your sins, say your Act of Contrition, I'll absolve you and give you penance.  If you don't want to list your sins or you just want to have a chat, I don't want to see you".  A little blunt maybe, but everyone their turn in the confessional.

Blessings
:pray:
Steve
This is a pet peeve of mine.  Confession isn't therapy.  If you need counseling make an appointment for it.  Don't camp out in the confessional for 15-30 (or even more) minutes when other people are waiting - they might have 20 years of mortal sins to confess, and give up and never try to repent again if they don't get in.  Bless me father for I have sinned, I did X, Y and Z and I am sorry for these sins and the sins of my past.  Act of contrition. It shouldn't take more than 5 minutes even if the priest questions and/or advises you. 
Years ago I used to confess in a parish in Wichita, KS. There was a convent nearby and God forbid there were Sisters in front of me in the lineup! :laughing: I have no idea what they were confessing, but they all took a long time!
We have no idea what is going on in the confessional when some one else is in there. I think it's the height of uncharitableness to assume motives for someone who takes long than you think they should. Aren't you people examining your own consciences rather that speculate what may be taking someone so long? I've had the priest keep me in there for at least 15 minutes once, giving me counsel (and I couldn't say to him "okay Father but can you hurry it up? My knees are hurting") Granted he was a new priest but still. The point is we have no idea what that person's situation is, or what is being said or by whom.
(01-16-2011, 12:29 AM)CollegeCatholic Wrote:
(01-15-2011, 07:15 PM)Petertherock Wrote:
(01-15-2011, 06:18 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: I dislike that.  To me, if you're going to use up more than 5 minutes of time in the confessional, schedule an appointment.  IMHO.

I wasn't able to confess last week because people took forever in the confessional.  I want to tell everyone in front of me "go in, confess your sins, get out."  :S   (This was NO)

I agree with you. Even on my "worst" weeks it only takes me a few minutes. Last week a lady was waiting for Father at our traditional Mass and she said Father told her she would see her first. I was OK with that but when she went in she was in there almost 15 minutes. I did get a chance to go to confession as I was second in line but there were many people that didn't get to go. Father is good about staying after Mass and finish hearing the Confessions but if you have mortal sin to confess then you can't receive Communion. Although sometimes Father allows us to go to Communion under the stipulation that you make it to confession after Mass.

But it reminds me of a Fr. Corapi talk when he said no matter how many sins you have it shouldn't take you more than a few minutes to confess because you only have to confess mortal sins and there are only 10 Commandments so it shouldn't take you that long to confess. I think the only time I took more than a few minutes is when I made a general confession of my whole life and that was at a separate time and not when the priest only had a few minutes to hear confessions.

??!! 

My longest time - The first time I confessed in German (in Germany), because my sins in German were translated so-so, and the priest didn't really speak English.  Maybe seven minutes, tops.  lol

Das ist sehr kool.

Auch: Ein Fisch fuer Spooky. Das war auch sehr kool, was du gesagt hast. ;D
(01-15-2011, 06:18 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: To me, if you're going to use up more than 5 minutes of time in the confessional, schedule an appointment. 
Ugh. I hate Confession by appointment, myself. So I completely disagree with this sentiment. When you have a serious sin to confess, or are in need of counseling for a delicate situation, the last thing you want to do is talk to some secretary to schedule an appointment with a priest.

It seems most of you want to be out of the Confessional before even entering it, and I am that way too, but this is not the case with everybody, specially as most people are not well formed in their faith. Here's something from the Wikipedia entry on the Curé d'Ars:
Vianney came to be known internationally, and people from distant places began traveling to consult him as early as 1827. "By 1855, the number of pilgrims had reached twenty thousand a year. During the last ten years of his life, he spent sixteen to eighteen hours a day in the confessional. Even the bishop forbade him to attend the annual retreats of the diocesan clergy because of the souls awaiting him yonder". He spent at least 11 or 12 hours a day in the confessional during winter, and up to 16 in the summer
If listing one's sins, reciting the Act of Contrition, and getting absolved is all there is to Confession, why would people travel to confess to a particular priest, and why would this priest and his bishop stand it? Because that isn't all there is to Confession, just as having kids and living in the same house 'till death do us part isn't all there is to Marriage.

I once waited in line for Confession from the beginning of Mass 'till 20 minutes after its end, so I understand the frustration expressed here, but, I think it's better to complain about the lack of access to Confession there is currently, than about the poor souls who need it. I know of only one reliable way to find a priest to confess to, and that is before and during the Sunday afternoon Mass. Sad, but true.
If you are ever a Priest that is hearing confessions you will understand five to ten minutes is simply not enough in many cases. Obviously I'm not going into much detail, but I don't feel right simply having someone sit down, confoss, and walk out of the Confessional. If I feel the person needs advice, then I give it to them, and the people in line need to exercise patience. Confession is a gift, not a right.
I had planned to go to Confession this morning and the priest was called away on an emergency sick call so I couldn't.  When something like that happens, I think of it as God adding to my penance.
IND & Spooky:  I fully agree.  It's wrong of me to be upset with people for taking 5-10+ minutes in the confessional.  But you know what?  That's really not my fault.  When there is only ONE HOUR of confession time schedule per week, that's an issue.  The time crunch is NOT my fault - it's the priests fault.  At the time I attempted to go to confession, there were around 8-10 people in line, and that's when I got there "midway" the confession-hour.  And if each of those people took 5 minutes a piece, we were already extending past the "hour" allotted to confession.  Can you see how some penitents might be perturbed at not being able to make it to confession that week, because there is only a one hour time slot at the parish?  And, in my case, I can't schedule a personal confession time with the priest because of my class schedule.

And m.PR:  I agree, scheduling an appointment is horrible.  I tried to do it once, and I didn't get ahold of the priest in time, so I wasn't able to.  

And, yeah, I agree that there is more to confession than going in, confessing your sins, saying the Act of Contrition, and getting out.  But, if the priests want to make it more than that (as it properly SHOULD be), then they need to offer confession for more than one hour a WEEK.  :S  Especially since, at the parishes in my town, no one offers confession before Mass (which is arguably a stronger signal to the majority of the faithful than having it crammed in on a Saturday afternoon).
I went to confession once, during rosary and benediction. I was in there the whole rosary and half of benediction...it was totally embarrassing. And it was the priest talking, not me!