who is greatest philosopher of 20th century?
(01-20-2011, 12:00 AM)Mithrandylan Wrote: dang i failed on the quote html

it happen to the best of us  :awww:
Dietrich Von Hildebrand?
(01-19-2011, 11:06 PM)icecream Wrote:
(01-19-2011, 09:45 PM)Walty Wrote:
(01-19-2011, 07:13 PM)icecream Wrote:
(01-19-2011, 06:38 PM)SouthpawLink Wrote: I'd go with Fr. Garrigou-Lagrange; he was a Thomist.  Some of his works are available in English; of note, there's his Reality: A Synthesis of Thomistic Thought.

ive heard of him. i suppose i was expecting non-catholic philosphers but i dont know why. who the best non-catholic philosphers of 20th century?

I'd agree with this, but I would say that he is more correctly labelled a theologians.

yeah i dont get the distinction. i suppose catholic dont need philosophers. they have their own in-house, but by different name

There are philosopher-theologians like St. Thomas who take a philosophical approach to theology, but there are also regular philosophers.  Thomists by definition address theological questions within a philosophical framework.  A Catholic philosopher will, by necessity, have to confront theological questions from time-to-time, but it doesn't have to be the main thrust of philosophical inquiry.  One can be a Catholic philosopher who concentrates on the philosophy of mathematics, for example.

[Image: wittgenstein.jpg]
Ludwig Josef Johann Wittgenstein (1889–1951)

Runner up: Martin Heidegger
Heidegger was a nutter, but you have to respect him for calling a spade a spade.  He was, in many ways, so very honest to his philosophy, carrying it out to its logical end (something most atheistic philosophers do not have the balls to do).

"If God as the suprasensory ground and goal of all reality is dead, if the suprasensory world of the Ideas has suffered the loss of its obligatory and above it its vitalizing and upbuilding power, then nothing more remains to which man can cling and by which he can orient himself."
Whenever icecream posts a thread, I always get this stuck in my head:  ???

(01-20-2011, 02:37 AM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:
(01-19-2011, 11:06 PM)icecream Wrote:
(01-19-2011, 09:45 PM)Walty Wrote:
(01-19-2011, 07:13 PM)icecream Wrote:
(01-19-2011, 06:38 PM)SouthpawLink Wrote: I'd go with Fr. Garrigou-Lagrange; he was a Thomist.  Some of his works are available in English; of note, there's his Reality: A Synthesis of Thomistic Thought.

ive heard of him. i suppose i was expecting non-catholic philosphers but i dont know why. who the best non-catholic philosphers of 20th century?

I'd agree with this, but I would say that he is more correctly labelled a theologians.

yeah i dont get the distinction. i suppose catholic dont need philosophers. they have their own in-house, but by different name

There are philosopher-theologians like St. Thomas who take a philosophical approach to theology, but there are also regular philosophers.  Thomists by definition address theological questions within a philosophical framework.  A Catholic philosopher will, by necessity, have to confront theological questions from time-to-time, but it doesn't have to be the main thrust of philosophical inquiry.  One can be a Catholic philosopher who concentrates on the philosophy of mathematics, for example.

can you be philopher of anything?
(01-20-2011, 05:08 PM)paragon Wrote: Whenever icecream posts a thread, I always get this stuck in my head:  ???

whever you post a thread . . .

oh yeah you dont post threads  ;D
(01-20-2011, 03:59 AM)Marc Wrote: [Image: wittgenstein.jpg]
Ludwig Josef Johann Wittgenstein (1889–1951)

Runner up: Martin Heidegger

wittgenstein was he a ladies man?

in this photo he looks like has trouble on hi mind

[Image: wittgenstein.jpg]
(01-20-2011, 04:51 AM)Walty Wrote: Heidegger was a nutter, but you have to respect him for calling a spade a spade.  He was, in many ways, so very honest to his philosophy, carrying it out to its logical end (something most atheistic philosophers do not have the balls to do).

"If God as the suprasensory ground and goal of all reality is dead, if the suprasensory world of the Ideas has suffered the loss of its obligatory and above it its vitalizing and upbuilding power, then nothing more remains to which man can cling and by which he can orient himself."

i didnt know atheistic philopshers have balls at all

walty you majored in philopshy?