who is greatest philosopher of 20th century?
I would like to nominate Jean-Paul Sarte as the heterosexual opponent. To be sure, Sarte was squat and wall-eyed and not very impressive as a physical specimen, but he was a fan of boxing and once even dealt Camus a black eye; also his addiction to corydrane and other stimulants might give him an edge. I'm not sure Wittgenstein would be up for it though, but given his fondness for cripples he might want to date the loser.

[Image: sartre.jpg]
I say Dietrich Von Hildebrand.

http://www.catholic-pages.com/mass/hildebrand.asp

"Dietrich von Hildebrand is the 20th century Doctor of the Church." -- Pope Pius XII
oh my!!

i loving these replies!

i alway thought sartre play for other team.
(01-21-2011, 06:24 PM)icecream Wrote: i alway thought sartre play for other team.

Hardly. Sartre was a notorious womanizer. Although one critic famously remarked that his creative talent was essentially feminine and that he "needed to be inseminated and stimulated by other people"; and then there was that 600 page work on Jean Genet.
(01-21-2011, 07:12 PM)Marc Wrote:
(01-21-2011, 06:24 PM)icecream Wrote: i alway thought sartre play for other team.

"needed to be inseminated and stimulated by other people"[/url].

ewww  :laughing:
(01-20-2011, 04:51 AM)Walty Wrote: Heidegger was a nutter, but you have to respect him for calling a spade a spade.  He was, in many ways, so very honest to his philosophy, carrying it out to its logical end (something most atheistic philosophers do not have the balls to do).

"If God as the suprasensory ground and goal of all reality is dead, if the suprasensory world of the Ideas has suffered the loss of its obligatory and above it its vitalizing and upbuilding power, then nothing more remains to which man can cling and by which he can orient himself."

The chief problem with Heidegger, as I see it, is that he writes like this.
(01-21-2011, 05:44 PM)Marc Wrote: and once even dealt Camus a black eye

As a person who waited for Godot far too long in high school, I'd say this is a major plus.
For the fisticuffs - I'm nominating Merleau-Ponty.    He was scrappy, and he'd turn on you...ask Sartre.
(01-21-2011, 11:48 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:
(01-20-2011, 04:51 AM)Walty Wrote: Heidegger was a nutter, but you have to respect him for calling a spade a spade.  He was, in many ways, so very honest to his philosophy, carrying it out to its logical end (something most atheistic philosophers do not have the balls to do).

"If God as the suprasensory ground and goal of all reality is dead, if the suprasensory world of the Ideas has suffered the loss of its obligatory and above it its vitalizing and upbuilding power, then nothing more remains to which man can cling and by which he can orient himself."

The chief problem with Heidegger, as I see it, is that he writes like this.

This isn't even that bad.  You can still glean meaning from it.  More so than many modern theologians and philosophers.  Try reading Derrida...

"Needless to say, one more time, deconstruction, if there is such a thing, takes place as the experience of the impossible."
(01-21-2011, 11:52 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:
(01-21-2011, 05:44 PM)Marc Wrote: and once even dealt Camus a black eye

As a person who waited for Godot far too long in high school, I'd say this is a major plus.

LOL