who is greatest philosopher of 20th century?
As far as non-theologians and non-strictly political philosophers (e.g. Hannah Arendt--for the most part-- and Karl Schmidt), I would say Santayana followed by Ortega y Gasset, Jaspers, and Josef Pieper.

EDIT: Zizek is more often right than I would like to admit.
Oswald Spengler, Carl Schmitt, Martin Heidegger, Vilfredo Pareto, Giovanni Gentile, Mircea Eliade. Louis-Ferdinand Celine, Ernst Junger, Gabriel D’Annunzio, Andre Gide. Pound, Yeats, and yes, Eliot. Not *all* the best, and many of them just sympathizers, but you see my point, right? Maybe I should have said "20th century authoritarian politics had many of the best philosophers, [etc.]"
(01-25-2011, 02:16 PM)Graham Wrote: Oswald Spengler, Carl Schmitt, Martin Heidegger, Vilfredo Pareto, Giovanni Gentile, Mircea Eliade. Louis-Ferdinand Celine, Ernst Junger, Gabriel D’Annunzio, Andre Gide. Pound, Yeats, and yes, Eliot. Not *all* the best, and many of them just sympathizers, but you see my point, right? Maybe I should have said "20th century authoritarian politics had many of the best philosophers, [etc.]"
I don't necessarily disagree with the point your making, but Eliot can't even be called a sympathizer. He regarded fascism as an unChristian political system. I think it would be more accurate to say that the right or, as you put it, authoritarianism had many of the best minds of the twentieth century. 
spngler remind me of that occult guy whathisname

[Image: Spengler21.jpg]
Crowley. It's interesting to compare their faces. Crowley looks like a maniacal clown version of Spengler.
[Image: aleister_crowley.jpg][Image: Spengler21.jpg]

But other than a few superficialities there isn't much resemblance.
(01-26-2011, 12:45 PM)Graham Wrote: Crowley, and you're absolutely right. It's fascinating to compare their faces. Crowley looks like a maniacal clown version of Spengler.

good point! i wonderthey knew each other.

they both look like theycould have hair, but they prefer the bald look

i think ichael jordan stole idea from them
After a closer look, they don't look that similar. Downgraded from fascinating to interesting.
ok. just dont downgrade it anymore

ive had all downgrading i can take
Gurdjieff, with a moustache reminiscent of an old-time prize fighter, might be a contender for either the death match or a baldness contest.

[Image: saint-gurdjieff.jpg]
wow that a magnificent mustache!!