who is greatest philosopher of 20th century?
(06-26-2011, 12:10 AM)Someone1776 Wrote:
(06-25-2011, 09:35 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: Cough
nietzsche died in the first year of the 20th century

1900 is the last year of the 19th century. 

If you want to be pedantic, but for all practical purposes it seems that to most people (or at least to me) the 1900s are synonymous with the 20th century.
Yes
and to the people of that time. There was a such a huge huge anticipation for 1900 at that time in rhe western world. U cannot explain I just as another year inthe 19
to those living then 1900 was the first year od the 20th
anyway
regardless neitzches I fluence was only felt during the 20th century. He lived and worte in the 19 sure but few very few knew him or read him
I challange any one here to explain the majore philosphical systems or politcal movements of the 20th century while ignoring nietche
go on
see where it gts you
even movements such as Marxism were influenced by neihces challanged to I through his open chsllane ofthe state and his idea of the death of God.  Further you would not ven have foucsalt or post modernism without the work and I fkuence of nietche

This is why philsosophy has never worked on the FE site. It's a sad thing. 20th century philosophy may be bad compared to the good old stuff but it influences the world in a real way to some degree so it should be talked about by Catholics more than just "I read so and so once - he's shit".  ::)
true. but no everyone has the mind for most trash philiophy. let alone the serious suff. anyhooo.thats why i stand by freddy being the most important and inflential philopher of the 2oth century. his work is of the utmost importance for catholics to get a grip on
sip
(01-19-2011, 06:38 PM)SouthpawLink Wrote: I'd go with Fr. Garrigou-Lagrange; he was a Thomist.  Some of his works are available in English; of note, there's his Reality: A Synthesis of Thomistic Thought.
Fr. Garrigou-Lagrange, O.P.'s Reality: A Synthesis of Thomistic Though is excellent.
I just thought of one who's almost criminally unappreciated, I reckon. I'm pretty sure he's 20th century - America's own Santayana. Some of his explanations/ speculations about Greek philosophy in "Reason in Common Sense" (I think it's called) are very good. His other stuff is more hit and miss, but when he hits a good point he really hits it and expresses it in an original way. I don't know much philosophy really, but I remember mulling over certain things he said for days.