Relevant Radio Is A Joke - Sat Vigil Mass
(01-22-2011, 07:40 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:
(01-22-2011, 05:50 PM)jamesthedisciple Wrote:
(01-22-2011, 11:21 AM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: What is relevant radio?

Based on its name alone, it doesn't sound good.

It's an neo-Catholic radio station that has its moments, but for the most part they leave me feeling  >:(

http://www.relevantradio.com/

Completely off topic, but being the "financial genius" at FE (as opposed to Vox who does content and direction) I always look at apologetics financial statements, and they have their annual reports online.

They get $9,000,000+ in annual contributions, and 1.5 Mil in advertising?!?  For a bunch of small stations that apparently just rebroadcast EWTN content?

I must be doing something wrong... or right.  Not sure which.

Relevant Radio is really big in the diocese that I grew up in (Green Bay).  I think it actually has its national headquarters there but I could be wrong.  They don't just rebroadcast EWTN, though; they actually do almost entirely original programming.  It is super neo-Catholic and mostly just annoying, however.  They have a lot of pledge drives where they constantly ask for money and they must clean up from those.
(01-24-2011, 06:21 AM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: I'd say if football is that important, get a DVR recorder. I've never understood why people insist that sports events must be seen live.

For me, it's at least important to see the game with no pre-knowledge of the outcome. If I already know who won, I lose interest. And you would have to go out of your way to avoid knowing that.

However, I still don't see why there is a conflict at all. Sunday Masses are held in the morning; football games are in the afternoon or evening. In this case, the game was at 2 PM Central Time. Even on the west coast, it would have been at Noon, and that leaves plenty of time to go to Mass and get home in time for the game. I went to 9 AM Mass, then went home for a few hours, then rode my bike 15 miles to a friend's house, and still got there in plenty of time to see the kickoff. A mid-afternoon football game is a pretty lame excuse for "having to" go to Mass Saturday evening instead of Sunday morning.
(01-24-2011, 07:01 AM)Walty Wrote:
(01-22-2011, 07:40 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:
(01-22-2011, 05:50 PM)jamesthedisciple Wrote:
(01-22-2011, 11:21 AM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: What is relevant radio?

Based on its name alone, it doesn't sound good.

It's an neo-Catholic radio station that has its moments, but for the most part they leave me feeling  >:(

http://www.relevantradio.com/

Completely off topic, but being the "financial genius" at FE (as opposed to Vox who does content and direction) I always look at apologetics financial statements, and they have their annual reports online.

They get $9,000,000+ in annual contributions, and 1.5 Mil in advertising?!?  For a bunch of small stations that apparently just rebroadcast EWTN content?

I must be doing something wrong... or right.  Not sure which.

Relevant Radio is really big in the diocese that I grew up in (Green Bay).  I think it actually has its national headquarters there but I could be wrong.  They don't just rebroadcast EWTN, though; they actually do almost entirely original programming.  It is super neo-Catholic and mostly just annoying, however.  They have a lot of pledge drives where they constantly ask for money and they must clean up from those.

I din't know you grew up in the GB diocese.  Same as mine. :cheers:
You may want to put this in your hopper. When the Saturday Mass came in, no one said it was for those that had jobs on Sunday. It was a convenience for all or any. It was explained if you had a soire to attend which would be late into the night, then go to Mass before it. It became the Mass for the well heeled in the Parish. It became the Mass for those with big bucks and spent Saturday on the towne in tony places.
In other words if you were told otherwise it's revisionist history. This is the stuff that creeps in over time.
tim
Huh.  My mom remembers when she was a kid the mass on Sunday at noon, and how the late partyers went to that one.  They might have had alcohol on theri breath, but they went.
I find it odd, but at my parish, a large number of people choose to go to the Saturday Mass so they can have their Sundays free.  Recently the pastor cancelled a Sunday morning Mass, so now there's two Masses on Saturday, one on Sunday morning, and one on Sunday afternoon.  Now if that isn't one messed up schedule, I don't know what is.  I guess they go for convenience and/or money now. 

On the topic of Mass times and what people do, I know of a family that used to attend a noon Mass, but when the church canceled that Mass, they stopped attending at that church because the 10:30 was too early and they couldn't get up in time for it.  Anymore, Mass is one of those things that people go to if they have time and only if they feel like socializing.  Sure seems like it.
Yep, you got that right. In my parish there were two late Masses one at 12:00 in the Church and one in the chapel at 12:15. We thought they put the 5:00 in because they were both too cowded. I don't remember any priest saying the 5:00 was for people that must work on Sundays. It started as an alternative for all on Holy Days of Obligation and extended for Sundays. If it was only for people that must work on Sundays they would have said so in the pre-Vatican II times.

tim
Noon is early.