Church unhappy that St. Patrick statue sits in a bar

Officials from the Newark Archdiocese say they are upset that a statue of Saint Patrick, which had sat in Sacred Heart Church for 50 years, now resides in a bar.

http://www.optimum.net/Video?pid=BAo1YH6...P5jlWOGTma

Do you think this is wrong? I mean, it's too bad that the Church closed and the statue had to be moved at all--that's the really sad part of it. But why can't a bar or saloon have a picture of a saint up? Provided it's a family pub and all, isn't that okay?
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
I'd say it depends on the nature of the bar.

I love the Catholic club near here, which is basically a pub with crucifixes and pictures of the pope and stuff all over the walls.

In an ideal Catholic world, every bar would probably have a crucifix and images of the saints around the place.

But, at the same time, I could see it being disrespectful in some bars. It's difficult to say really, as it probably depends on the intentions of the owners and the attitude of the clientele. If it's just there because it's supposed to be 'kitsch', or something, then I'd have a problem with it.

EDIT: Having actually watched the report now, I'd say it's fine in this case. In fact, it's a shame the owner of the bar seems to be prepared to stand down. I think the 'Church officials' are just being puritanical.
Rather st paddy be in a bar then have to sit though a NO. Besides given time he will chase the snakes out of their too
sp sip
(01-25-2011, 08:11 AM)Martinus Wrote: I'd say it depends on the nature of the bar.

I love the Catholic club near here, which is basically a pub with crucifixes and pictures of the pope and stuff all over the walls.

In an ideal Catholic world, every bar would probably have a crucifix and images of the saints around the place.

But, at the same time, I could see it being disrespectful in some bars. It's difficult to say really, as it probably depends on the intentions of the owners and the attitude of the clientele. If it's just there because it's supposed to be 'kitsch', or something, then I'd have a problem with it.

EDIT: Having actually watched the report now, I'd say it's fine in this case. In fact, it's a shame the owner of the bar seems to be prepared to stand down. I think the 'Church officials' are just being puritanical.

I know, right? When I first saw the headline, I thought oh, maybe they're poking fun at St. Pat, but after seeing the video, I'd say they're sincere. As long as they're sincere, I can't see how it's a bad thing. It's a sign of faith; good for him!

In most Catholic homes and places of business today, you wouldn't even know you're in a Catholic home. No pictures or crucifixes. I think it's sort of cowardly in a way, like maybe people are ashamed or think they'll take flack for it.

Edited to add: it's a beautiful statue, if they don't want it, I'd go pick it up.... I could take it to my church. He's not far from here.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

It seems like a mellow enough place, and I love the fact that the people who used to go to the now closed church come by and venerate the statue.
(01-25-2011, 09:02 AM)devotedknuckles Wrote: Rather st paddy be in a bar then have to sit though a NO.

Clever as always mate.

Although, actually he'd have to stand thru the NO. E'en worse?
Of all the things to worry about in the Catholic world today....gay masses...feminist nuns...homosexual priests...but a St Peter statue in a Catholic owned bar gets them up in arms.  Talk about screw up priorities.
Okay, now that I'm looking at it, I think I've been there a time or two.... That was way back in the day B.C. (before children), it's a nice place.  :)

[Image: 57079385a0ce4a37d750aac1b522b031]

I wonder if they're equally unhappy or more unhappy that beautiful churches have been wrecknovated over the years, or the damage to the Catholic faith during that time.
I don't see any problem. When I had to choose a Doc from the list, I picked closest to my house. The first visit I realized it was a Polish clinic where business was done in Polish, and halting English. What convinced me to stay with the Doc was the the beautiful picture of Our Lady of Czestochowa, and the statue of St. Anthony on the desk of  another Doc.

Catholics should have visible signs of their Catholicism. I'll bet the f-bomb is used sparingly, and guys watch the number of Paddy's whiskeys that have with their Guiness.

Anecdote: When I was a kid in Grammar School on the first floor out side the Superior's office was a large portrait of Pope Pius XII.  It seemed his eyes would follow you, and us kids reacted in hushed tones for fear he could see us. This is the influence good things like the Statue of St. Patrick can have on people. Maybe St. Patrick's eyes will put fear of the Lord in the heathens that go there.

I'll have a pint of bitters, and a large Tullmore Dew, no ice, please, you whacky American ! Slante, Craic
tim