Deacons and perfect continence
(02-08-2011, 07:51 PM)Basher Wrote: Pitiful.

Happy to oblige.

Got any more disparaging remarks?
I will add, though, that:

Quote:BTW there's consistent intellectual traditionalism and faddish traditionalism.  Rejecting real work on real issues because something smells "neocon" is the faddish type.

I'm no intellectual, but since I wasn't born or raised Catholic (being a convert), if I were interested in fads, I could think of all sorts of better ways to spend my time. I'm here for truth, presumably along with the rest of us.
"Got any more disparaging remarks?"

Depends whether you plan to keep posting about theology.  You could always quit while you're behind.

This is what happens when you post ignorant things that disparage real people on teh interwebs.  Somebody who's not similarly uninformed may read it, take exception, and school you in public.  Catholics aren't supposed to call people with DCL's who take the law seriously names.  That's bad form.  If you haven't read someone's work, don't say silly things about them.  

This is particularly galling because on a traditional Catholic forum, one would expect serious people to be vastly in favor of canonists teaching the Church what the Law actually says, since by doing so, many common abuses could be cured.  
HK, your play here is making me giggle.  Basher, your obsession to get in an argument is also making me giggle.

Nicely done, boys  ;D
Ach, it's no biggie, sometimes lessons need to be taught.  Lessons taught in this manner are not forgotten and people who learn this lesson become well informed and deliberate of judgement. 
Welcome to the forum, Basher.  Please review the rules:

http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...orum_rules

Especially

Quote:We're just folks here trying to find our way through the confusion, and worship Christ the best we know how. Some of us are highly educated, some aren't. Some are intellectuals; some are not. Some like to argue; others like to discuss. Some express themselves well; some don't.

And

Quote:Moderators also frown on those who are at pugilistic, sniping, snarky, always looking to find sin or scandal, never give the benefit of the doubt, vicious to good-willed non-Catholics and non-trads, and so forth. People like that will not likely last long around here. Discussion is better than arguing! If this place ceases to be joyous and fun in addition to being serious, then fuhgetaboutit. Sourpusses begone!

Thanks!  :tiphat:
Basher Wrote:Somebody who's not similarly uninformed may read it, take exception, and school you in public.

You can school me any day, friend.

Quote: Lessons taught in this manner are not forgotten

You may be too optimistic on my account. But I thank you all the same.
Quis -

Yes, this part:

Moderators also frown on those who are at pugilistic, sniping, snarky, always looking to find sin or scandal, never give the benefit of the doubt, vicious to good-willed non-Catholics and non-trads, and so forth.

...was what aggravated me in the first place and caused me to post in this thread.  Sorry if you don't like my methods, but your members slinging insults at Catholic scholars needed pouncing on.  I'll use more smileys in the future. 
(02-08-2011, 08:35 PM)Basher Wrote: Quis -

Yes, this part:

Moderators also frown on those who are at pugilistic, sniping, snarky, always looking to find sin or scandal, never give the benefit of the doubt, vicious to good-willed non-Catholics and non-trads, and so forth.

...was what aggravated me in the first place and caused me to post in this thread.  Sorry if you don't like my methods, but your members slinging insults at Catholic scholars needed pouncing on.  I'll use more smileys in the future. 

Two wrongs don't make a right.  There is also a difference between punditry on published words and attacking another forum member.

You have something interesting to say, for sure.  I'm just saying you need to say it differently.  That's all.  Coming in guns blazing is a sure way to get my attention.

Let's restart, if you like, and continue the discussion on more civil terms.  I liked your post giving arguments without the ad hominems.  That's the way to go about it.
OK, I'm on notice.  I get it.