Recommendations for Life Insurance?
Anyone have a good idea of who a good insurer is for term life-insurance?
Knights of Columbus?
(02-02-2011, 06:35 AM)geogeer Wrote: Knights of Columbus?

Bingo, if you belong.
We have ours thru USAA, and we really like them. Not sure if you still have to be military connected to apply, though.
And as a supplemental don't forget this :

[Image: 1_guns-and-gold.jpg]
If you become a Knight, KofC, otherwise Mass Mutual and Northwestern Mutual Life.
(02-03-2011, 05:57 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(02-02-2011, 06:35 AM)geogeer Wrote: Knights of Columbus?

Bingo, if you belong.
That's what I have. Got it when I was 19...right after becoming a Knight.
K of C is not that economical.  I've looked into it.  The best thing to do is decide how much coverage you need, then get on the internet and find some term insurance that is the cheapest for your chosen coverage level.  Find a decently rated company (A++ or A+).  No "whole life" or any of that crap.  Whole life is just a hole down which one throws his money.  If you have extra money to invest, it would be wise to buy gold.  Do not buy more insurance than you need.  Most people would need enough to cover any outstanding debt (hopefully only a mortgage) plus enough to support your survivors at a reasonable level for about 6 months or a year.  When you're dead, it's time for the wife to get a job or get married again.   So, take your mortgage and add your yearly take-home pay, plus a little extree for your pine box and you're done calculating.
I've found KofC to be pretty economical, compared to previous insurers I have had.  I do agree that term insurance is the best way to go and invest in other ways (i.e.-Roth IRAs, 401k, etc.).  The best thing about having KofC is that, regardless of how you feel about the organization itself, you know your money is going somewhere that will do the least amount of moral damage compared to other insurance companies.

And to Alice, I think you still have to be in the military or be a dependent of someone in the military to qualify for USAA.  My father was military, and I signed up with USAA in my teens, and I'm glad I did.  My auto and homeowners insurance are through them, and they can beat practically anyone out there as far as rates are concerned.  Plus I usually end up with a dividend at the end of each year.
(04-01-2011, 07:41 PM)Anthem Wrote: K of C is not that economical.  I've looked into it.  The best thing to do is decide how much coverage you need, then get on the internet and find some term insurance that is the cheapest for your chosen coverage level.  Find a decently rated company (A++ or A+).  No "whole life" or any of that crap.  Whole life is just a hole down which one throws his money.  If you have extra money to invest, it would be wise to buy gold.  Do not buy more insurance than you need.  Most people would need enough to cover any outstanding debt (hopefully only a mortgage) plus enough to support your survivors at a reasonable level for about 6 months or a year.  When you're dead, it's time for the wife to get a job or get married again.   So, take your mortgage and add your yearly take-home pay, plus a little extree for your pine box and you're done calculating.

KofC *is* economical, when one takes into account their convertibility, flexibility, and who they'll underwrite and in what circumstances that no one else will.